Skip to main content

Jessie Stokes: A domestic abuse survivor's story

Sometimes, I am in awe of the women in my family. I think about the sacrifices made by my grandmothers and aunts, and the strength and grace of my cousins who often stare down adversity. 

I come from a family of widows. My grandmother Ina Crown mourned her first husband who died during WWI. My mother Vera buried her own soldier husband, my father Russ, after he died as a result of PTSD at only 34. As a little girl, I watched the women close to me struggle, and cry when they thought I wasn't looking. I was always looking, and learning. 

I still am. 

Against all odds, they soldiered on. They were Steel Maples, standing tall against every storm. 

In my own generation, I have marveled at the sacrifices made by my cousins to raise whole families on their own, and to deal with many mental and physical health challenges, and I am humbled watching Ashley's family endure the loss of their lovely girl whose only fault was picking the wrong guy.

We've all been there. The Simpson women are not invincible, but we are warriors. We are not super women but we are strong enough to get through the unimaginable. Divorce, loss, single motherhood, addiction, depression, even suicide attempts.

Today, I honor my cousin Jessie Stokes, who is a survivor in all possible ways. At a young age, she raised a daughter on her own, and is now bringing up two young boys while pursuing a career in social work. It's been a rough road for Jessie, who like Ashley, was a victim of extreme violence at the hands of her partner. Yesterday, she was celebrated by the 2nd annual Champions of Change in British Columbia. She received an award as the Brave Survivor of Violence, an individual showing resiliency, strength and dignity in the face of high risk violence.

I am including a video of the virtual ceremony which includes a moving address by Jessie herself who proudly came out of the shadows to tell her story. In it, she talks about her struggles, and her path to a better life. She also explains that she wouldn't be here today if it were not for the police officers, therapists and social workers who supported her in her journey.

Today, she is using her skills and training to help women who struggle with addiction. She hopes one day to work with other victims of violence, and share her first hand experience with them. The world needs a lot more Jessies the been-there-done-that women who can gauge when silence masks fear, and when a plea for help is to not ask for help at all.

It's hard to watch this video, and it may trigger some women, but I urge every woman to share it with women they know who are at risk.

Get up. Get out. Tell somebody. And always have a plan. 

Congrats, Jessie. 

You've made us all proud!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...