Skip to main content

Ashley Simpson: The Pledge

 


Today, Ashley's friends and family joined together to wish her well on her next adventure. I like to think that Ashley is not gone as long as people remember her spirit, her smile, and her love of the big adventure. 

Over the 32 years she spent on this planet, Ashley touched the hearts of everyone who met her. She challenged her cousins, friends, nieces and nephews to always to push the envelope, to do better, to be better. As her Aunt Patty said today at the service, Ashley was always there for people whether she was driving them home after a party, or helping to organize one. She was a bright and shining light in the world, and she is now taking her act on the road.

Even on her worst day, Ashley brought out the best in people. People started fundraisers and search parties, they flew drones over the treacherous landscape. She reminded everyone that in this life we all need to do our part. And she continues to make her mark. In her name, people are calling for our society to do better in protecting the women and girls who are most vulnerable, to teach them at an early age to value their own self worth, and steer clear of the men who try to harm them. 

Because of Ashley, there is now an organization called Wings of Mercy that now boasts more than 1,000 volunteer members who help families search for their missing loved ones all over North America. Since her disappearance, the group has developed new software to help law enforcement, search and rescue and volunteers to identify key markings in rugged terrain that could lead them to the missing.

Ashley's case inspired thousands of people to join social media groups in support of the families of the missing. Her own Ashley's Army has more 1,500 members from coast to coast to coast. Her supporters are there for anybody who needs help.

On a personal note, Ashley inspired me to write blogs to raise awareness about the epidemic of domestic abuse and violence in Canada. Nearly every month, I now receive messages from families of women who have gone missing. In most cases, those women have been abused by their partners. I find it chilling that there are patterns in these cases that eventually lead to the doorsteps of men who have already committed violence. 

It is clear to me now that we need to do a better job in teaching our girls how to protect themselves against domestic violence, and place their own value above the interest of any man or boy. Girls need to feel confident that if they ask for help someone will listen. And they need to know there are resources out their to help them leave toxic relationships.

We must also to teach boys growing up that women and girls are not their playthings, or commodities that they can own and control. We can all play a role in making this happen. Parents, teachers, grandparents, bosses, the media and law enforcement. 

Ashley's case is a grim reminder that even the most loved and fearless woman is easy prey for a man who has it in his heart to do her harm. It is a cautionary tale. And it is one that bears repeating.

Ashley's dad always says he will never give up in helping the families of the murdered and missing. He made that promise on the grave of his daughter. I pledge to do the same, in Ashley's name. And every member of Ashley's Army will also take that pledge, I am sure. 

We have seen the end game. We don't want that for our girls and women or for the families left to grieve. 

Now it is time for all of us to do our part.

Safe travels, Ashley. Your work on this Earth is done. I pray that you can now truly rest in peace.

Our work is just beginning. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...