Skip to main content

The Lake Always Tells Me the Truth

 



Sometimes it takes a visit to the cottage to put everything into perspective.

The cottage is always the place where I work things out, and talk things out with my husband. It's a place with no social media, and little contact with the real world except for the occasional visit with CBC Radio.

Most years, I arrive at the cottage miserable. One year, I was working the whole time editing books. That was the same year we brought Gordie the pug, and Scott had to leave immediately to return to the city to have the poor little fellow put down. I remember walking in the lake, all by myself, and wailing because nobody but God and the lake could hear me. 

Other years, I've been between jobs and worrying about the future, or fretting over waiting for a security clearance to come through, all the while battling disturbing heart palpitations. Yet another couple of years, I spent trying to bolster the spirits of my friend Jennette who was dying of mouth cancer. It was heartbreaking  watching this brave little soul as she endured the indignity of blenderizing her steak supper.

For the most part, I'm miserable company at the cottage. Ask my friends whom I'm sure thought they'd arrived for a calm vacation, only to realize they had Beelzebub as their host. I don't know why the cottage brings out the worst in me, maybe it's because I finally am forced to sit with my thoughts, chew them over, mourn bad decisions of the past, and bury them in a vat of tequila and red wine.

This year was different. I had just come off the successful launch of my book, Distressed Pavement, a little ditty I wrote during the pandemic basically to save my sanity. I published this book because it was on my bucket list, that with losing weight and getting healthy. It seemed much easier to clang out a book than face my demons, and so I did it, and put it out in the world.

This year, for the first time in eight years, I could celebrate a success of sorts.

And yet, the nagging voice coming from the lake reminded me that I had a new life to face when I returned to Ottawa. I was now a "senior" with arthritic joints and a throbbing knee, someone who was facing financial challenges unless I found a part time job to supplement the stipend the government sent me.

Surely, the lake told me, you don't think you can make a living as a self-publishing author, a person whom most publishers and agents would laugh at, someone who was too impatient and bull headed to ever be a success. Agents are like those people in those terrible car ads on television, you know the ones.

"How is she supposed to publish a book without us checking in?"

They're right you know. My books paid for the publishing but not much else. I actually got a royalty cheque the other day for $10.99 via Paypal, not even enough money to transfer into my bank account. I have thirteen people waiting for my book at the Ottawa Public Library, so I have that going for me, except for the fact the books at the library cost me twenty bucks to produce.

As for those books I've successfully placed in book stores? They each cost me a buck after paying the printer and the book store commission.

And best of all, now that all the congratulations are in the computer cache, I'm getting emails from friends who are sending me to sites that teach novel writing, even after I've written one. They mean well, and I take their suggestions with gratitude because they are right you know, I'm not a novelist.

I'm an essayist, and a pretty good one, too. It's just too damned bad that nobody buys essays anymore, and so again, I'm here in this space writing to whomever wants to read my blather. Sitting in front of my computer asking readers to love me.

Meanwhile, the voice from the lake continues to rumble, and its musings continue to resonate in my ear. 

So, the lake says, now that I have your attention Rose. What are you going to do?

I don't know, I say. I guess I'll figure it out.

Tick tock, says the lake, tick tock. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...