Skip to main content

My Hair of Many Colours

 

Embed from Getty Images

I walked through the inside part of my neighbourhood mall the other day for the first time in nearly a year. It's one of those places that was built especially for seniors back in the day and was once populated with older couples lingering over coffee watching new moms negotiate with toddlers who want to ride the mall horse, or grab a toy from a machine with a claw that hauls in a fortune but never gives a kid a decent toy.

In recent years, the mall has lost its way. There are still small shops indoors, like a unisex hair place, a tailor, a dry cleaner, and a couple of medical professionals. But there's no place to sit anymore, and people have to go outdoors and cross the mall to get their coffee at Starbucks, so most oldsters say, "just never mind" and they either walk home or get in the car and go to Timmies.

I haven't been in the indoor part of the mall because of Covid. All the little shops were shuttered for months, and have only opened recently. So I decided to go in.

I landed at the beauty shop in my search for a post-pandemic hair cut. I'd never been to the barbershop/beauty salon/nail place before but I went in this time because it had the right ambience -- two bored hairdressers, no waiting.

I plunked myself down, and the stylist cut my hair without even asking if I wanted a wash or a set. She just took the scissors out and got to work tidying up the mess that my hair had become thanks to my penchant for cheapness and self-care.

I've become a bit of an expert on hair cutting over the years. As a single mom, I couldn't even afford the cost of First Choice so I cut my own. It isn't hard. Just pull the hair together on each side and give it a snip, then tidy up after a wash and self-style. 

Unfortunately, my skills had become rusty over the past few years after I was finally able to afford colour, highlights and a cut at a prestige salon. I didn't balk at spending a couple of hundred dollars being pampered. I deserved it, I thought, as I handed the stylist my card and paid the equivalent of a car payment for a couple hours of her time. 

The hair cuts were so-so, but the colour was fabulous, a nice dark blonde kissed by highlights in a variety of silvers and gold. 

Alas, those days are gone. The big paycheques are finished, so I am left with only a few sheckles at the end of the month, just enough to pay for dog meds and eye drops. 

Not much left for self-care, and sadly, it shows. 

I haven't told you the best part. Not only was my hair cut by me at odd angles, it had also become a mass of unruly silver strands mixed with about three other colours, most of them varying shades of blonde. That's because I made the decision early in the pando to grow out the bottled colour and for the first time in two decades let the drapes match the rug (or what's left of it).

Honestly, my mane has become a coat of many colours that would have horrified Dolly Parton. 

I tried not to look at it which was easy for me because my eyes are failing so badly that I'm now unable to put on my eyebrows without taking a selfie to make sure one is not lighter than the other. It's why I now wear big glasses that hide eyebrows that were never great in the first place. Without some kind of shading, they literally disappear except for a few strands that stand at attention and wave to my adoring public.

Maybe it was the empty salon, maybe it was fate. 

But there was something about a nice spring day, with news that the pandemic would soon be in our rear view, that made me take a chance and walk into the salon, and watch in amazement at how deft my hairdresser was at cutting hair on a client with a mask on.

As she combed my hair, I told her my tale of woe, about my hair of many colours.

"It's nice," she said about my top growth. "You have highlights."

Wow. I never thought of it that way. 

Sometimes it takes a complete stranger to slap you on the side of your head, and realign the marbles.

Get over yourself, Rose. 

Your hair was never that nice to begin with. 




Comments

  1. Are you looking for Erotic Services in Calgary

    Here is the best site where you can find https://calgary.5escorts.ca/location/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Live out your fantasies and experience sexual wellness the best possible way with Cupid Boutique. We began our journey 20 years ago with a single adult toy store in the Canada neighbourhood, and we now have six more in different parts of Ontario. We also have an online adult toy store that offers discreet packaging and billing alongside secured doorstep delivery. Shipping is free in Canada on orders over $49, and to the US on orders over $99.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much to share the valuable content with us. Keep us updating with more interesting and amazing article. Also, check out Yard Sign Printing Ottawa.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...