Skip to main content

Ashley Simpson: The New Normal

 



In December 2020, John and Cindy Simpson's German Shepherd, Gypsy, gave them an early Christmas gift -- five glorious little puppies. She sadly lost three -- not an unexpected event in a litter. 

Five were still enough, and their busy Niagara-on-the-Lake house was filled that Christmas with joy mixed with the scent of mama's milk and puppy poo.

The pups were a welcome addition during a pandemic where it was difficult, if not impossible, for the Simpsons to gather their large extended family which now included another great-grandchild. John settled with being a surrogate mum to the little pups who snuggled with him in bed after they filled their tummies with mother's milk. 

Like most grandparents, John and Cindy missed the constant chatter of toddlers and rowdy adults who arrived on cue every Sunday for a feast of mashed potatoes, veg, and roast beast. 

But quiet was probably why they needed. 

Both John and Cindy were recovering from emergency surgery. In August, John had to be taken off a ship where he worked as a cook, and he underwent surgery for a perforated colon. A month earlier, Cindy had to be triaged from her own ship to have an emergency appendectomy. (She had exploratory surgery in the fall as well.)

John and Cindy are tough seafarers, but they realized it was time to smell the coffee, show down, and enjoy semi-retirement. The addition of the lovely little pups made their homes a little frenetic, but it was just what they needed. A distraction.

The past five years have been unkind to the Simpsons, my cousins, who lost their beloved daughter Ashley in April, 2016. Her body has never been found. Meanwhile, her killers, presumably, still walk among the decent folk of Salmon Arm and the police have said they have no suspects, publicly at least. Most people, including the Simpsons, have their theories who killed her, but without a body there's no proof, legally-speaking, and proof is the only thing that will put them away. I'm told there is evidence stashed somewhere on an RCMP site near where I live in Ottawa -- a long way from British Columbia, where the crime took place. It's in a truck that Ashley and her boyfriend Derek Favell lifted from Derek's employer in Pink Mountain. But the cops remain mum on their "continuing investigation".

It's also pretty much a certainty that Ashley's disappearance and homicide is connected to some other criminal activity that involves the drug trade which is the unofficial off-the-books creator of major wealth in that area of British Columbia. Ashley ran with some pretty bad dudes back. The existence of a large stash of drugs undoubtedly made it more complicated for her killers to hide her body. Clean up can be a bitch. Ask Walter White. 

None of this matters in the scheme of things. Her parents don't care about drugs, or the image of the cops who are gaining a reputation of being more like the Keystone Cops than Dudley Do Right. 

Ashley's gone and she isn't coming home. They will never hear her crank up the stereo and wail country tunes. They will never watch her jump into a lake polar bear style. 

They still have the rest of their family, and hope to gather around the bonfire in April to remember Ashley, pandemic permitting. They will be joined by Gypsy, who took on Ashley's nickname, and a new pup, Luna who stayed after the other puppies were re-homed.

Since Ashley disappeared, the Simpsons have learned that there's nothing you can count on in life. It's hard to sleep with memories of their beloved daughter interrupting their dreams. But they know the only way to survive the past is to cling to the joys of The New Normal: grandkids, puppies, and the wind whipping through the peach trees that line their country property. 




Comments

  1. Condolences to Ashley’s family, friends and everyone who knew her and feels her loss.
    My heart breaks every time I hear about another missing person (usually a woman) in this province with no answers and no justice.
    BC has the highest missing persons rate in Canada for a reason. For many bad ones.
    I also worked in Pink Mountain and know the remote desolation of this province. How easy it is to disappear. But she’s far from forgotten.
    I’m sincerely sorry Ashley is gone. I hope she’s at peace.
    I hope one day justice is for all.
    🖤💙💔

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...