Skip to main content

Pandemic Hair: Getting to the Root of the Problem




Yesterday, I celebrated my birthday on a patio with my son, Stefan, and his girlfriend. I was incognito with sunglasses and a Globe and Mail baseball cap.
Normally, I would have put some effort into my appearance, but the pandemic has stripped me of my vanity, and I am left hiding in plain sight. All the makeup in the world doesn't matter when you have pandemic hair.
For years, I coloured my own hair until what my former hairdresser used to call "the nasty blondes" took over my pate. There is literally no way I can hide the undergrowth of steel strands which have taken over like dandelions in a perfectly manicured yard.
So I became a devotee of professional hairstyling sucking it up a couple times a year for a full colour and lights, and another couple of times for attention to my roots.
But the pandemic robbed most of us of this option. So we were left to our own devices to try to manage our colour until the doors of the salons opened once again. Thankfully, we can now return to our stylists   whose artistry can turn us from aged old crones into nice looking middle aged women.
Now a lot of you would say, hey, Rose! Just free yourself from colouring your hair. Set the nasty blondes free. And I say, get the hell off my Facebook.
Your not the boss of me!
I'm with Nora Ephron who famously said, "There's a reason why forty, fifty, and sixty don't look the way they used to, and it's not because of feminism, or better living through exercise. It's because of hair dye."
In a last ditched effort to save myself from turning into The Thousand Year Old Woman, I resorted a few weeks ago to colour in a box. All I was left with was blonder hair and blonder roots, and they didn't match. Hence the baseball cap.
I lament not doing my roots earlier with a professional product and getting advice from a pro.
Now I'm facing a full on, and expensive colour when I next go to the salon.
So I was interested to read a recent Facebook post from style maven Leeann Lecroix who has come to the rescue of those of us who are "roots challenged."
She visited Bruno Racine Salon where Bruno introduced her to a spray touchup, L'Oreal Hair Touch Up that is designed to match your roots with your hair colour. Since her real hair colour is grey, Bruno chose a "soft warm blonde" spray that blended the two together. It just rinses out with a hair wash.
This seem like a great idea especially for people like me who often wait a bit too long to get the roots done. It's also good because nowadays, you never know how long you have to wait to even get a hair appointment.
And it's Twenty Bucks!

You can get all the info here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...