Skip to main content

The Glebe: The Walking Dead


Embed from Getty Images



Scott and I went out in search of a patio last night where we could socially distance and meet a new friend I found on Twitter. The Byward Market was out. It's always a carwash and I had no expectation that it would be any different on a warm and beautiful Friday night in Ottawa even in a pandemic.
I suggested we find a place near my new friend's home which is close to the hotels in the northwest area of downtown. She made a reservation at the Baton Rouge on Albert Street. When she called they said it was good she made a reservation; they were turning away walk-in traffic. That sounded responsible, so we climbed in the Subaru and headed down.
Scott turned onto Bank Street from Sunnyside and we were pleasantly surprised to see the Barley Mow, one of our old haunts, was full but not packed. They had added some tables in the parking lot and it seemed very safe. I know that about the Mow. They have always done a good job of keeping the place in good order, and I thought that would be a good place to go another time.
But everything changed after we drove over the Bank Street Bridge. The entire strip from TD Place to Laurier was jam packed with thirsty revellers. Some places, like the Clock Tower, were the exception; it only had a few tables and no lineup.
But Holy Mother of COVID, the rest of the strip had people literally spilling into the street waiting in line to get in. There were some places that were just holes in the wall and somehow they managed to stuff folks in using old smoking section techniques like letting people sit inside in the windows.
I'm not blaming the bar and restaurants. I am sure they opened safely. But it was the outside crowds that worried me, people standing in line for hours, not socially distancing, not wearing masks. Tit to bum.
What worries me from a public health perspective is that this kind of behaviour is going to lead to a spike in COVID-19 cases. It's exactly why all the festivals have been cancelled because you can put as many rules up as you want, but you can't stop bad human behaviour especially when people are in search of  booze and company.
I'm not so worried about the inside of bars and restaurants; I'm worried about the outside.
The whole scene reminded me of the Walking Dead. If we've learned anything from the George Romero-inspired zombie series, it's that people will do what ever they want if nobody's looking. Human beings aren't that different from Labrador retrievers in that way.
As we drove downtown, I was grateful to see that the crowd had dissipated, and we parked our car across the road from the Baton Rouge, and got our table. We had to sit in the sun and wind because the nice table behind us was off limits due to social distance rules.
There was no lineup, and people were well behaved.
Most of the people at the restaurant patio were over 40.
We had a couple of beers, and left.
I didn't pee. I almost peed my pants on the short drive home.
I'd heard one of the worst place to get the virus is in public restrooms.
I believe it.
People can be pigs.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...