Skip to main content

School Dress Codes: No Bellies Allowed!

One thing I learned writing a city editorial column for the Ottawa Citizen: you never know what will piss people off. I've written some pretty flammable pieces in my time but this one created a national conversation which dominated the airwaves for a few days.

The topic? School dress codes.

After I wrote this, I was called every name in the book by concerned parents who thought I was advocating allowing my daughter so much fashion leeway, she would become a common day stripper or prostitute. All because I allowed my daughter Marissa to wear a "crop top" which was a modest shirt that left an inch or two exposed on her midriff.

Hey! I grew up in the 70s when girls went to high school with barely there shirts that exposed their nips and shorts that showed their other bits. A little bit of skin didn't hurt, I thought, even on a 12-year-old.

The principal did not approve of Marissa's fashion sense, ridiculed her in class, and nearly sent her home. I was livid.

So I wrote this:


Column on crop topsColumn on crop tops Mon, Apr 8, 2002 – 20 · The Ottawa Citizen (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) · Newspapers.com
Sat, Apr 13, 2002 – 21 · The Ottawa Citizen (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) · Newspapers.com

<
There were dozens of letters to the editor. My favourite one asked "what next? Britney Spears look-a-likes in Kindergarten? Dress codes are there for a reason: to protect young children by providing a haven, for as long as we adults can swing it, from society's pervasive sexuality."

Whew. I could have had a career as a Madame for Tiny Tots!

By the way, Marissa's top did not look like the one in this photo. Maybe that's why the column created a shitstorm. 

In any event, the school principal never took me on -- ever. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...