Skip to main content

COVID-19: Who wants to be a contract tracer?

I recently applied to become a volunteer contact tracer as part of my personal effort to keep the COVID-19 bug at bay. The federal government's application process bordered on the ridiculous. The first twenty questions, designed obviously to weed out the riffraff, asked applicants if they were: epidemiologists, social scientists, social workers, medical students, pharmacists, and so on and so on.

I didn't qualify in any category.

Instead of making me feel empowered, and useful, filling out this questionnaire made me feel bad about myself.  After checking no, no, no for thirty minutes, there was a final question which was
basically, ok riffraff, what makes you think you would qualify as a good contact tracer?

"I have more than 40 years experience as a journalist," I wrote. "I can find anybody."

There is no better training to be a contact tracer than being a newspaper reporter or a television chase producer. The job is basically finding people who don't want to be found. Like the politician who is on the take. Or the suspect out on bail.

We're also trained to ask people difficult questions. Can I have a photo of your dead child? Was it your gun? Premier Ford, have you even read the briefing?

I once had to wake up the Archbishop of Ottawa to tell him that the Pope had died, the second pope, the one who was chosen to replace the original pope, who had died the month before.

"I'm sorry," the weary priest told me after my third call at 3 a.m. "I can only wake up the Archbishop in case of emergency."

"Well," I sniffed. "If the Pope dying isn't an emergency for the Archbishop, I don't know what is."

Ten minutes later, I had the Archbishop on the phone.

People seem to think that being a contact tracer would be difficult. It's not like you're calling to tell a guy he has the clap. There might be the occasional awkward phone call taken by a wife who wasn't at the pool party with her husband. Perhaps the person being called to cough up his contacts might be reluctant to do so, fearing blow back from his colleagues.

("Dude, you didn't actually use the public bathroom," or "Ugh, you kissed me with that mouth!")

But otherwise, it's just a virus. People want to know if they've been infected.

As a mother of three, I have a bullshit detector implanted in my skull. I can tell if anyone is lying.

Marissa, I found a shiv in the dresser. Who gave that to you?

Nick, I found ecstasy in the laundry. Are you on drugs again?

Stef, how much did you have to drink. I can smell it on you. Here's the pail. Use it.

Ask anybody, Rose Simpson can talk to anybody. I've had conversations with prime ministers, premiers, Supreme Court judges, a king, rock stars, cops, drug dealers, strippers, drunks, and other ne'er to wells. I roll in many circles.

Beside, I love to be the first person to know something, and I love to tell people stuff they don't know.

It's how I'm built.

I also worked in psychiatry for a time, so there's not much I don't know about people who live in other dimensions -- including psychiatrists themselves.

Today, I heard that 53,000 people had applied to be volunteer contact tracers. That was months ago, and everybody, including all these lofty medical professionals, are all still waiting by the phone. So I don't feel left out.

But I am disturbed that this effort is proceeding at a snail's pace during a pandemic.

Who does the government think it is, the WHO?

It's a pandemic, yo! Let's hurry up and wait.

Don't call us, we'll call you.

Meanwhile, the virus continues to spread. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley Simpson: Conversation with Derek Favell Revealed

  On April 2, 2017, a family friend of Ashley Simpson opened her Facebook Messenger and got the surprise of her life.  Cathy MacLeod had been trying to correspond with Ashley's boyfriend, Derek Favell, who was the last person to see the St. Catharines native before she disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, B.C. a year before. She wanted to know more about what happened to Ashley, and why Favell had refused to take a polygraph test when many others close to the missing woman agreed to do so. "I wanted to poke the bear," she said, and sent several messages to Favell pleading with him to talk to her.  " Please help us," she wrote. "It's been 10 months of pure hell. A lie detector would help if you have nothing to hide. I beg of you, help us, take the test to clear your name if there’s nothing to hide." Many, including members of the Simpson family, found Derek's behaviour, at least, curious. Ashley had disappeared on April 27, 2016. Yet it took

Ashley Simpson: A Father Remembers

I have asked Ashley Simpson's family and friends to give us a glimpse into the life she lived before going missing nearly a month ago. Here is how her father John remembers his sweet girl. Ashley was a treat when she came into this world, a smashing 9lbs 8 ounces with a  head full of hair and nails that needed to be clipped. She has made many friends in her journey of life and continues to make them as we speak. She has made this world a better place by her love of mankind and this place we call Earth; unfortunately this life she has lived hasn't been the best for her. She has suffered through unbearable pain and suffering through her menstrual cycles. She has cysts on her ovaries that make those 10 days a living hell. She had one of her ovaries removed when she was just 14; the other they won't take out till she is 40 or older. Years of hell for my Ashley. I so feel her pain every month but she doesn't quit, doesn't give in.   That's my

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein