Skip to main content

Don't Turn Your Back on Racism




I am a white woman.
I have a black son-in-law, a black granddaughter, and a black niece.
My daughter Marissa has many black friends, and relatives.
I am no longer surprised when I see a video of a black person being killed by police, or vilified by a white person just for being "on the scene".
It worries me that my granddaughter will have to navigate the world using a different lens than her white cousin. And I'm concerned that something bad will happen to her dad just for "driving while black".
So I am sharing this post that Marissa put on Facebook today, because she asked her family to stop being silent on the issue of race. There is a lot we can do if we only open our eyes, call out racism when we see it, and get involved.
Marissa's right.
White people were shocked to see other people standing by while a police officer killed George Floyd in cold blood, and reacted by just asking him to "stop".  And they were shocked that a black bird watcher got the police called on him for asking a woman to put her dog on a leash.
But it's crickets when the sentence comes down, and the cops get off.
Cops nearly always get off.
As Marissa says, it happens every day many times as we catch our buses, or walk our dogs. I just want to add that it's not just black people. It's the Chinese reporter who is told to go back to her country after being blamed by a white man without a mask for causing the COVID-19 pandemic. It happens to Muslim girls and women who wearing hijabs.
Racism is everywhere.
We need to continue the discussion and arm ourselves with tools that we can use to make the world a more peaceful and joyful place for all Canadians. No black or brown child should have to be trained to deal with racism. The world is tough enough.

How to Educate Yourselves

One of Marissa's friend's posted a toolbox we can all use to do our part to stop racism.
Please read this, after you read Marissa's note.
Racial Equity Tool Box

In Marissa's words...

Let me say something - not for applause, not for my own feeling of self-importance or self-worth, but out of education and out of anger. I have a black husband, I have a black child. 
My existence as a white woman contributes to a system that oppresses people of colour. I don't have to do anything to progress that - just by EXISTING, I contribute to it. By being silent, or by not seeking to understand, I progress it. 
WHITE PEOPLE, white friends, white family, I'm going to talk to you for a second. Your silence on the issues that people of colour face, your passiveness ("I'm not racist, I don't see colour, etc) also further systematic racism. If you don't look for information on the LIVED EXPERIENCES of people of colour, if you don't educate yourselves, if you don't push for change, ask how you can help - these things will never get better. You are "surprised" when you see a black man getting killed in a video on Facebook BECAUSE you don't understand that this is an every day occurrence, this is an every day fear of black people. The thought that their blackness will be offensive enough for a white woman or man to call the cops on them for doing every day activities, they got a little too close, a little too comfortable, and this made up of thousands of micro-aggressions they face every. single. day. And point blank, this gets people killed. 

Unconscious racial bias exist - EVEN IF YOU HAVE BLACK FRIENDS. 

Please educate yourself. Please be an ally. Please don't be silent.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley Simpson: Conversation with Derek Favell Revealed

  On April 2, 2017, a family friend of Ashley Simpson opened her Facebook Messenger and got the surprise of her life.  Cathy MacLeod had been trying to correspond with Ashley's boyfriend, Derek Favell, who was the last person to see the St. Catharines native before she disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, B.C. a year before. She wanted to know more about what happened to Ashley, and why Favell had refused to take a polygraph test when many others close to the missing woman agreed to do so. "I wanted to poke the bear," she said, and sent several messages to Favell pleading with him to talk to her.  " Please help us," she wrote. "It's been 10 months of pure hell. A lie detector would help if you have nothing to hide. I beg of you, help us, take the test to clear your name if there’s nothing to hide." Many, including members of the Simpson family, found Derek's behaviour, at least, curious. Ashley had disappeared on April 27, 2016. Yet it took

Ashley Simpson: A Father Remembers

I have asked Ashley Simpson's family and friends to give us a glimpse into the life she lived before going missing nearly a month ago. Here is how her father John remembers his sweet girl. Ashley was a treat when she came into this world, a smashing 9lbs 8 ounces with a  head full of hair and nails that needed to be clipped. She has made many friends in her journey of life and continues to make them as we speak. She has made this world a better place by her love of mankind and this place we call Earth; unfortunately this life she has lived hasn't been the best for her. She has suffered through unbearable pain and suffering through her menstrual cycles. She has cysts on her ovaries that make those 10 days a living hell. She had one of her ovaries removed when she was just 14; the other they won't take out till she is 40 or older. Years of hell for my Ashley. I so feel her pain every month but she doesn't quit, doesn't give in.   That's my

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein