Skip to main content

Where have you gone, Ashley Simpson? It's been four years







Four years ago, Ashley Simpson and her boyfriend Derek Favell left their life in Pink Mountain, British Columbia and decided to make their home in Salmon Arm, the small community where Derek had grown up.
Ashley had lived lots of places after growing up in St. Catharines, Ontario. Ashley loved the outdoors, fishing, hunting, and enjoyed following her dad, John, who divided his time as a cook in rugged Northern work camps, on ships that sailed through the Great Lakes, and at a posh resort in Huntsville, Ontario. Ashley was a happy child, who wasn't afraid of hard work.
She loved children, and charmed everyone with her infectious laugh.
It was in Pink Mountain where John last saw his beloved daughter. John had to get back to Ontario, but Ashley had met Derek and wanted to stay, so John reluctantly told her to stay safe and keep in touch.
He kissed his daughter and wished her luck.
Over the next few months, Ashley's mom and her sisters were in constant contact with Ash, spending time with her on Facebook, and laughing at her endless selfies.
So when Cindy McGean Simpson didn't hear from Ashley after April 26th, she began to worry. It was highly unusual for Ashley to go social media silent.
As things turned out, it would be days before Cindy discovered her daughter had gone missing after a fight with Derek.
And it was more than a week before the RCMP got involved, and determined that Ashley was indeed missing and presumed harmed.
What happened in the ensuing months is unclear. A week is a long time in a murder investigation. Evidence goes missing, suspects have lot of time to get their stories straight. In spite of an extensive investigation involving RCMP from the area, and from Vancouver's major crime unit, detectives came up empty handed. Four years later, the RCMP tells the family that the investigation is still active, but there is still no news.
It didn't help that unlike Derek who had deep roots in the community, Ashley was a newcomer to Salmon Arm. Rumours swirled. Had she met the same fate as other women who disappeared along the infamous B.C. Highway of Tears? Surely someone had seen her.
But nobody admitted anything.
A couple of weeks later, Ashley's neighbour, Deanna Wertz disappeared.
Then it was revealed that two other women had gone missing in the area.
Were these disappearances related?
Suddenly, a missing woman from St. Catharines, Ontario became part of a national discussion. British Columbia had a missing women problem. Indigenous women and girls were being abused and victimized. A national inquiry was launched, recommendations were made, witnesses were called.
None of these efforts have made any difference as far as Ashley's family and friends are concerned.
Ashley Marie Simpson is still missing four years later. No one has been arrested. And there are no leads. Her parents continue to wait, and hope that someone stumbles on a shallow grave, or that somebody fesses up.
A relative has even offered up a $10,000 reward for information. That's a lot of money. It could help somebody relocate without fear of reprisal.
Still, nothing.
There has been some good that has come from all of this. Because of Ashley, a grassroots organization has arisen which is dedicated to helping families whose loved ones have gone missing in rugged areas where search and rescue is virtually impossible. The group, Wings of Mercy, is using drone technology to go where humans fear to tread, and the drone operator volunteers fan out each weekend to help when everybody goes home.
John has kept himself busy raising funds, and creating awareness about the need for greater funding and support for the families of missing and murdered women, men, and children. It's been difficult to carry on knowing that Ashley is still out there, somewhere.
John and Cindy just want answers.
Eventually, everybody goes home, and the family is left with their private grief.
It's not fair, but let's face it, this is not a piece of fiction. The RCMP doesn't always get their man.
We should accept that we may never know.
But that's not who we are.
As Ashley's cousin, I have spent hours writing about this case, and talking to reporters hoping that Ashley is never forgotten.
On Monday, I am asking everyone to post a photo of Ashley, to remember her wonderful spirit. Those who knew her should take to Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram and offer up a memory.
Let's go viral. For Ashley.
She is out there somewhere.
So is a killer.
We will never rest until that person is brought to justice, and stands in front of the family and tells them what happened to their beautiful child.
Never give up.
Never.






Comments

  1. 4 years and still no answers, so much uncertainty. Thoughts of hope that Ashley's family get answers to finding her soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Borrow money here today at 3% interest rate. My company offer all kind of financial services at 3% interest rate and our services is 100% guarantee and risk free. to Apply, contact my company via email: sawda.finance@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...