Skip to main content

My Easter Mission


I woke up with a mission.
I wanted tulips, or any kind of flowers, for that matter.
And I wanted to buy them from a girl sitting on a corner.
I even imagined what she looked like. She would be pretty, but not too pretty, a little Bohemian, wearing a shawl or a floppy hat. I would make her day by buying a bunch of over-priced flowers for myself, and surprise her and buy another bouquet for her. She would smile at me, thank me, wish me a Happy Easter, and we would be on our way.
"Mind the cold," I would say, as she drew her shawl a little closer to her face, and then she would return to fixing her stand and replace the two bouquets with ones from a pail she kept behind her chair.





Embed from Getty Images









I don't know that I expected flowers at every gas station, but I thought there would be girls out there, somewhere, trying to make a few bucks on a cold and blustery Easter weekend which, according to the weather report, is going to get even more blustery.
We turned the car towards downtown thinking maybe on Elgin Street or Main Street I would find that one girl. Usually, on an Easter, there are dozens.
But there were no girls out this Pandemic Sunday.
Just as there were no families gathered at old folks' homes, or around the dinner table.
There were only cops, the occasional jogger, and  a few stray couples wearing face masks walking just to get from A to B.
We crossed Rideau Street and headed towards the Byward Market which was deserted, with only an ice cream stand open. I wanted to stop to give my money to the vendor but it was too cold for ice cream.
We turned right and cruised down past Dalhousie Street, and it was there we saw a crowd.
A group of men were milling around, smoking, and shivering in the cold in front of the Salvation Army. They weren't keeping their distance, they were hovering close together; nobody stopped them, nobody cared about them, not even the cops.
It made me sad.
Then I thought about all the people who looked forward to a hot cooked Easter dinner today, who were always brought in from the cold by churches, and restaurants, to break bread.
What were they doing while I was out looking for flowers?
We turned around and headed home, and we saw a couple of homeless folks, sitting on chairs along the Rideau Canal, covering themselves with blankets to guard against the elements, trying to stay warm.
Suddenly, my quest for flowers seemed selfish, insignificant even mean.
We came home, Scott let out the dogs, and I made us a sandwich.
Then I came down here and spent my flower money on something better. I donated it to the
 Ottawa Mission. I had found my Mission after all.





Comments

  1. Very thoughtful and thought-provoking. It really made me stop and think. We noticed the same at the Shepherds a couple of weeks ago. No distancing. And no one looking for spare change at stop lights with their Timmy's cups. The shelters are really being challenged.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...