Skip to main content

Jed Rached: Rocket Man


photos courtesy of Deb Doucette

In 1995, Jed Rached had a dream.
He wanted to put together a band, but not any band. He envisioned a big hall filled with horns, keys, flaming guitars, and ear-rattling percussion.
Sitting quietly onstage with a couple of sidemen wailing the same old blues tunes over and over just wasn't his style.
Jed Rached wasn't just a blues guy. He was a showman.
He talked his idea over with a friend who worked at a local arts newspaper, The Xpress, who listened seriously.
"All you have to do is arranged the gig," the friend said. "The musicians will follow."
So Jed set a date and called up a couple of well known bands, The Hammerheads and the Black Boot Trio. They agreed to let Jed and his band, Rocket Rached and the Fat City Four, warm up for them.
It was all arranged.
Trouble was, the band in his head had never played in front of an audience before.
So he called in a favour at Barrymore's, Ottawa's legendary music hall, and got a spot a month ahead of the big show. He had a couple of weeks of rehearsal with a gaggle of musician friends including The Mighty Popo, an amazing guitarist.
On April 6, the night of the show, Popo called in sick right before the show. He offered up Steve Lauder in his place, and Jed's debut was set. He was nervous, fearing failure.
What else could go wrong?
When he got to Barrymore's, he couldn't believe his eyes. The musicians kept coming in -- 16 in all -- and the band that went on stage had five horns and a five-piece string section.
As Jed liked to tell it, that was the end of the Fat City Four.
The band was renamed the Fat City Eight, and went on to play for more than two decades. It was always fun to guess how many musicians would show up, since the number varied from show to show.
The guys came because they loved Jed. He was a guy who always had their backs.

Before starting his big band, Jed had been a sound man about town, a promoter and one of the founders of the Ottawa Blues Society. He could be found mixing the sound at every festival in town for years. It's where I first met Jed, at the Ottawa Bluesfest when Scott and I were making our documentary, Carnival of the Blues.
He was also a fixture at the Rainbow and Irene's for years hosting the open mic nights, and promoting the talents of many, many musicians who cut their teeth working these jams.
Jed was the size of a big old black bear, but he had the heart of lion. He was smart, sweet, and always rarin' to go.
That heart stopped yesterday, just a couple of weeks after he celebrated his 55th birthday at a big blowout at Irene's.
Jed had been sick for a few years but never lost his enthusiasm and optimism.
I last saw him a few months back when I responded to his plea for a new cell phone.
He'd been a bit down on his luck, and was really feeling the blues, but he had an ever-ready smile, and a bear hug for me.
Maybe he couldn't stand the thought of no festivals, no people, and no hugs.
Maybe he needed to find a new gig in a place where pandemics didn't matter.
In any case, Jed Rached will be missed.



Carry on, my wayward son. For there'll be peace when you are done.
Lay your weary head to rest.
Don't you cry no more. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...