Skip to main content

Ashley Simpson: Four years gone



On April 26, 2016, my cousin Ashley Marie Simpson disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, B.C. after having a fight with her boyfriend, Derek Favell. It's hard to believe it has been four years.

Her body has never been found, and no one has been arrested in connection with her disappearance save -- I cannot believe I'm writing this -- a number of people who have tried to use her I.D. to get credit cards.

I spoke with her mom and dad today, and they still have no clue what happened to her. Cindy and John both believe she is dead, but they have no body to bury. The police have no suspects.

"We still have plans for a memorial," says John, wiping away tears. "I'm hoping to go to work and have the funds."

He's also planning an annual barbecue and golf tournament hoping the COVID-19 virus will dissipate and people can once again congregate to honour Ashley. In the meantime, John and Cindy continue to work on the ships in the Great Lakes trying to keep it together for their burgeoning family. Since Ashley's disappearance, there have been happy times, the births of grandchildren and great grandchildren, and gatherings at the couple's Niagara-on-the-Lake farm. But their thoughts always come back to Ashley.

"It's been four years and I wonder how people who do things like this sleep or have any kind of life," says Cindy, who is planning to celebrate Easter today with John after spending the long weekend on a ship. "My wish for anyone that hurts or takes a life is that they have nightmares for the rest of their life.

"It's been a very long, hard, and emotional four years for everyone."

It's been hard for John to receive calls from banks after people keep using her identification.

"It's ongoing, it doesn't seem to stop. It's very disheartening that people will sink that low to just add more pain and grief to an already sad situation, Rose. It really gets to me."

John takes solace from the terrific support he's received from the community, and from Wings of Mercy, a non-profit which provides drone support for people looking for their missing loved ones.
The group was set up after Ashley's disappearance by Shane Michaels and has grown to more than 3,000 members. Its volunteers provide expertise for families after official search parties go home.

"The numbers are growing," says Shane who sent me a map of British Columbia that shows where people have gone missing in that province alone. The map is littered with cases and cold cases that have yet to be solved.

It's a sad legacy for that province, and law enforcement.

I can't help but feel anger for Ashley's family, her friends, and for all the missing women and girls who meet such a sad and violent end.

My hope is that someday we will all wake up to what has become an epidemic in this country.

I keep praying for resolution for Ashley's family.

But we are tough.

And John says, against all odds, we never give up.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...