Skip to main content

Mike Sloan: The best guy I never knew




Mike Sloan died today at 1:25 p.m.
He opted for MAID, medically assisted death, and left this world peacefully with his friend, Bob, holding his hand while his cat snuggled nearby.
He was sad for his cat, whom he loved unconditionally. He worried about that damned cat and that is why Mike opted to die at home instead of in hospice.
He said the other day that hospice wasn't an option because they didn't allow cats or beer. I told him, I knew for a fact, they allowed beer.
I brought my friend a 40 pounder of vodka when she was delivered to hospice, all eighty pounds of her. He liked that story.

Mike Sloan was the bravest man I never knew.
I didn't know him at all. Never shared a beer with him, never met him for coffee.
That's because, like thousands of Canadians, I only knew Mike from Twitter.
And I'd only seen him in person when he was on television after he became a reality sensation.
After he discovered that he was dying of Anaplastic thyroid cancer last year, Mike decided not to get treatment and live his life on his own terms. The docs gave him months; he survived nearly a year.
Right until this week, Mike could be found at the bar sipping a beer somewhere in London, Ontario, sharing stories with friends in a hoarse voice, trying to put food into his gullet down a throat that was ravaged by cancer.
He puked in public, and shat himself, but generally had a good time.
All he really wanted was a few beers and a stiff cock.
And his cat.
Not too much to ask for, in the end.

We learned a lot about end of life care from Mike.
It wasn't pretty.
The health care system is not equipped to deal with a person living on his own, with only a virtual support system. The pharmacy kept fucking up his meds, especially at the end, and caregivers didn't bother showing up when he needed them most.
Meds disappeared. People were yelling.
Instead of giving him comfort, the morons send to help him frightened him.
That is no way to die.

Mike didn't have money for expensive end of life care so he just lived his life normally, buoyed by the kindness of strangers he met online.
I was sad this afternoon when I saw the posting.
I wondered about his cat.
I hoped that his last day was spent with a beer that went down smooth.
He didn't say.
His last post was "Just stay tuned...no big deal."
Bob said his last words were "tell Chub I love him."

So long, Mike.
You were a helluva guy. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...