Skip to main content

Three Dogs Night





Against our better judgement, three months ago, we decided to get a third dog.
Viggo is a chocolate lab. We purchased him over the Internet, and we picked him up at a chicken auction in Winchester. A farmer had advertised two chocolate puppies, Viggo and his fat brother.
Scott picked Viggo; I wanted the fat brother. But Viggo was a present for Scott, so he got his way.
The kids thought us insane. Once again.
For the most part, they dislike the dogs. Sophie the pug is the exception, but then pugs are more like cats, and the kids like cats better than dogs. Except for Stef, who has the moribund Belle, who is a Bassett Hound, and 80 pound paper weight.
We got Viggo to stop Scott from crying. He was still pining for Finnigan, our Black Lab, who died two years ago at the tender age of six after suffering from a series of strokes.
Scott adored Finnigan, and I tolerated him. He was genuinely insane. He used to sit in the living room and bark at me, for no apparent reason, for hours. The only thing that saved us all was his obsession with his Kong. It was his safety toy, I guess.
We replaced Finnigan with Pearl, who is an equally insane Mini Australian Shepherd, who is constantly in motion, and barks so much we had to get her a "training collar." It worked like a charm. Every time, she started barking, she would performed a triple axle. She stopped barking about the third night she wore it outside.
Now, when she sees a pedestrian outside the fence, she bites Viggo.
Seems fair.
Anyway, Viggo is now five and a half months old, and 50 pounds.
He likes to sit on my lap.
He also likes to eat nylon socks, knock bottles off the counter, and stand at the door and whine all morning to be let out in the yard because he has to pee. I'm thinking of renting him out to the fire department as a spare fire hose.
The worst part of having a puppy, as you all know, is that they need to get up at 5:30 a.m. to pee. Nearly all my dogs gave up this stupid trick in a very few months because they wanted to avoid the wrath of Medusa, who isn't shy about wrapping her dreads around their throats when necessary.
Unfortunately, Viggo will not be deterred.
He is a peeing machine.
Our training is further hampered by the fact Scott works shift work, and gets up at 4 a.m. two days a week, and gets home at 5:30 a.m. two days a week.
You simply can't blame a pup when his dad rewards him for being an early riser.

I am an unabashed sleep monster who absolutely hates getting up at the crack of dawn. Medusa needs her eight hours to look her best. (Actually, what I look like at 6 a.m. is Medusa and I act like Regan, the girl from the Exorcist with the potty mouth. Generally, without pants.)
In my quest for a full night's sleep, I've become a basement dweller constantly reassured by Sophie, who is a calm little pug with mild allergies. Pearl sleeps in her crate with her Weasel. Viggo generally sleeps with Scott unless he's on the night shift, and then I sleep horizontally against the headboard with a 50 pound idiot sleeping on my old lady bladder.
When Scott works the day shift and gets up at 4 a.m., that maybe be the worst shift of all.
At 4:30, he puts Viggo in his crate where he barks until I get up ten minutes later. (And not a minute more!)
Then we go upstairs, and I sleep on the couch, with Viggo laying on my legs.
At 6:30 a.m., it's feeding minute which is harrowing, at best.
Lately, I've begun to feel like a lion tamer, as Pearl and Sophie regularly fight to the death for the last crumb of dog food while Viggo looks on.
I've taken to feeding all of them in different corners of the house to avoid bloodshed -- mostly mine as I get chomped on regularly trying to tear Pearl's jaws from Sophie's throat.
Currently, I am nursing a broken toe nail, a bruise the size of the map of Texas and a chronically sore throat from telling them all to go "fk themselves".
The sequestering seems to have done the trick, but I continue to be wary.
It's what happens, I guess, when the vet makes you put your pug on a diet.

The three dog sideshow has also pitted me against the Neighbour From Hell who came slamming into my door one day complaining about the dogs barking at 6:35 a.m. Medusa raised her ugly head, and scared her off, but not before she insisted I put muzzles on the dogs.
That's why we got the dog collar.
(And I hurriedly paid up the dog licences in case she called bylaw.)

I love the dogs, don't get me wrong.
But the next time, Scott starts crying, I'm just going to buy him a tiny violin.

(BTW, it's taken me over an hour to write this blog post thanks to Viggo's delicate bladder. I'm going out to buy him a busman's helper.)








Comments

  1. Here is a great herbal doctor who cured me of Hepatitis B. his name is Dr. Imoloa. I suffered Hepatitis B for 11 years, I was very weak with pains all over my body my stomach was swollen and I could hardly eat. And one day my brother came with a herbal medicine from doctor Imoloa and asked me to drink and I drank hence there was no hope, and behold after 2 week of taking the medicine, I started feeling relief, my swollen stomach started shrinking down and the pains was gone. I became normal after the completion of the medication, I went to the hospital and I was tested negative which means I’m cured. He can also cure the following diseases with his herbal medicine...lupus, hay fever, measles, dry cough, diabetics hepatitis A.B.C, mouth ulcer, mouth cancer, bile salt disease, fol ate deficinecy, diarrhoea, liver/kidney inflammatory, eye cancer, skin cancer disease, malaria, chronic kidney disease, high blood pressure, food poisoning, parkinson disease, bowel cancer, bone cancer, brain tumours, asthma, arthritis, epilepsy, cystic fibrosis, lyme disease, muscle aches, cholera, fatigue, muscle aches, shortness of breath, alzhemer's disease, acute myeloid leukaemia, acute pancreatitis, chronic inflammatory joint disease, inflammatory bowel disease, Addison's disease back acne, breast cancer, allergic bronchitis, Celia disease, bulimia, congenital heart disease, cirrhosis, fetal alcohol spectrum, constipation, fungal nail infection, fabromyalgia, (love spell) and many more. he is a great herbalist man. Contact him on email; drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. You can also reach him on whatssap- +2347081986098.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose, your writing is pleasant and I enjoy the glimpse into your inner life

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...