Skip to main content

Benched Again

I went to Employment Ontario last week in hopes of getting some help getting a job.
It's been several months since I was laid off from my very good government job, and things aren't looking any better for me, in spite of finally getting my degree after 40 plus years.
The Ontario government offers help for those of us on the D list by offering retraining and the assistance of somebody they call a "job coach". The way I figured it, any assistance would help.
One of the things the government offers is up to two years of assistance for people to go back to school to upgrade their skills or find a completely new "second career". I was assured that the fact I was 63 would not deter me from getting into retraining.
So I was pumped, and eagerly sat in on a seminar.
The first order of the day was to fill in a matrix to determine whether an applicant can qualify for assistance. The person has to get 16 points to qualify. I scored only 14.
My deficits included: having a university degree (0) and being a professional (0).
Apparently being a writer ranks right up there with being a lawyer or doctor or chartered accountant.
The job coach also showed me other major marks against me, and I began to get defensive.
"This says you were a policy analyst," she explained.
"Yeah, but I wasn't qualified for that job."
"What?"
"I can't work as a policy analyst because I don't have an economics degree."
"But you worked as a senior policy analyst in the federal government, correct?"
"Yes but I wasn't qualified, so they booted me out after my contract was over."
Huh.
"Okay, here it says you were president of a company."
"That's true, but it was my company, and I was clearly not qualified for being president of anything."
"And here it says you were Managing Editor of a number of medical publications."
I shook my head.
"But I wasn't qualified for that job, either."
"How is that?"
"In the private sector, they hire anybody who will work for 10 cents on the dollar. I had no training for that job, so I just winged it. You know, learning as you go."
"But you did that for five years."
"Exactly. I was one of those 'learning on the job' type person."
Huh.
"Okay, okay, but you are a writer, correct? That's a professional designation."
"But anybody can be a writer. My son only has high school and he's published eight books."
"Sorry, you get a zero."
"Okay, how about I write you a real resume which actually shows you how unqualified I am to do anything?"
"The Ministry is very specific. If you did those jobs, you are a professional. It says here on the matrix."

I left Employment Ontario feeling, for the first time, really bummed out.
I'm over qualified for retraining or skills upgrading, and I'm not qualified for any of the jobs I've done in my life.
What am I qualified for?
Eating, sleeping, dog and kid minding.
Thanks job coach.
Benched again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...