Skip to main content

Chateau Laurier: Do the right thing



Embed from Getty Images

The only thing the owners of the Fairmont Chateau Laurier could do worse is slap a Trump sign on the venerable Lady on the Rideau.
Nobody I know likes the new design. Nobody, at least, in Ottawa.
And yet, their proposed monstrosity of an addition to the grand hotel is slated for construction as early as this fall.
The owners will tear up the backside of the building, blocking traffic for months, and months, keeping their customers awake half the day and night for something that has the aesthetics of the Trump Border Wall. Or an Amazon warehouse.
To be fair, this reno idea has been bopping around Ottawa for years, probably ignored by people because they were distracted by the LRT fiasco and the anxiety inducing talks to put a hockey arena on LeBreton Flats.
The delays of these projects have demonstrated the absolute ineptitude of the National Capital Commission and Ottawa Council and have cost taxpayers millions.
So it's understandable that Larco Investments, who own the Chateau, have become really frustrated. Dealing with the NCC is like dealing with a teenager with ADHD and your passive aggressive mother-in-law at once. Most of the people on the NCC don't live here; mostly they just swan in to make everybody's lives difficult. I had my own experience with the NCC as part of the movement to get a firefighters' monument constructed here. After years of dealing with them, the firefighters finally got their monument, but the NCC made them put it in a parking lot in front of a condo, close to the Bluesfest site where patrons use it to for two weeks a year as a public urinal.
So it's true, Ottawa is a bad place to do business, with all its red tape and multiple jurisdictions. And Larco did do public consultations. Unfortunately, Larco didn't listen.
They took the NCC's directive to make it something other, more modern, without the turrets and the copper, but they missed the entire point of making it compatible with the existing structure, and its wonderful historical surroundings: The Parliament Buildings, the Conference Centre, the locks of the Rideau Canal. The current design is little better than the dilapidated garage it's meant to replace.
The new design looks more like the fortress down the street, the horrendous American Embassy which is little more than a gigantic barricade, shuttered and unwelcoming, seeming more like a detention centre than an inviting place for wayward American patriots.
It's so sad to see the Chateau, beloved for high tea and sophistication as well as wild political conventions reduced a mullet: party in the front, business in the back.
A reno like this could have been uplifting, even awe-inspiring.
Now it's been reduced to a business decision. Nothing more, nothing less.
Larco is clearly unmoved by the wishes of the people of Ottawa who cherish the Chateau. For us, it's a link between past and present, a reminder that people can dream big dreams.
The Chateau will always be more than a hotel. It's the heart and soul of the city.
Larco should do more listening and less bean counting because this decision will come back to haunt them.
It will mean one less wedding, or conference, one less drink at the bar, or lunch on the balcony.
One fewer person who will want to stay in residence at the Chateau.
Death by a thousand cuts plus construction.

So here's an olive branch.
Take a pause, reconsider, listen to the Friends of the Chateau Laurier, a group of highly influential people who will become former users of the hotel. Throw away this drawing and start over.
Or take some advice, which will cost you nothing.
It's better to wear the white hat than the black. This hotel will be here for another century, long after your employees take their buyouts.
Do the right thing.
As for City Council, shame on the councillors who are refusing to share how they will vote tomorrow. And good for the ones who are joining the battle, showing their loyalty to this community and its legacy.
Shame on the Mayor, the guy who brought us the LRT and the LeBreton fiasco. I guess Mr. Neutral sees this as a win, or a much-needed box to be checked.
We, the taxpayers have no use for you, sir.
Save the Chateau, or face the music because one bright and shiny day, you will be Mayor No More.
You know the saying, fool me once....





To show your displeasure for this whole mess, and urge City Council to revoke the Chateau's Heritage Designation, please write to your councillors, and your Mayor. Time is of the essence.

 jim.Watson@ottawa.ca, matt.Luloff@ottawa.ca, jenna.Sudds@ottawa.ca, BayWard@ottawa.ca, keith.Egli@ottawa.ca, diane.Deans@ottawa.ca, mathieu.Fleury@ottawa.ca, rideaurockcliffeward@ottawa.ca, catherine.Mckenney@ottawa.ca, capitalward@ottawa.ca, jean.Cloutier@ottawa.ca, stephen.Blais@ottawa.ca, george.Darouze@ottawa.ca, carolanne.Meehan@ottawa.ca, jan.harder@ottawa.ca, tim.Tierney@ottawa.ca, laura.Dudas@ottawa.ca, Glen.Gower@ottawa.ca, Rick.Chiarelli@ottawa.ca, jeff.Leiper@ottawa.ca, Riley.Brockington@ottawa.ca, scott.Moffatt@ottawa.ca, allan.Hubley@ottawa.ca, eli.El-Chantiry@ottawa.ca.









Comments

  1. Well said, Rose!! This will be a massive blight on Ottawa and the Chateau and a major national iconic heritage site. Where is the NCC and the Chateau's heritage designation?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...