Skip to main content

Ashley Simpson: Three Years Gone

Every spring, the rivers run, the soil shifts, and the landscape changes.
For most Canadians, it's just evidence of climate change.
But for murder investigators in the Okanagan, for the drone pilots and ATV drivers, and particularly for the relatives of Ashley Simpson, it makes it harder to look for her last human remains.
Three years ago, my cousin was a vibrant, 32-year-old nicknamed Gypsy for her meandering ways. She was up for any challenge: the catching of the biggest fish, snowboarding in a bikini on a dare.
The dark haired beauty was fearless in all manner of things, especially in her love of her big family.
Today, she remains just a memory, a snapshot in the eyes of the public who see her posters, and hole in the hearts of her mother and father who try desperately to hold out hope that she will be found.
Her mother Cindy says the grandkids are always asking: have they found Aunt Ashley in the woods yet?
What is she supposed to say to them?
What is she supposed to say to herself on the long nights she works as a cook on the great ships going through the Welland Canal.
Ashley's dad takes some solace in the fact that he has raised awareness and money for missing and murdered women in Canada. But as he said to me two years ago, he often has to pull over to the side of the road because he's crying so hard he can't see the road.
Where are you, Ashley? Who did this to you, and your family?
A lot can happen in three years. Births, deaths, anniversaries but time stands still for the Simpson family. The soil runs off, but memories linger.
They still hold out hope that someone knows something.
So on the third anniversary of Ashley's gone missing, the RCMP has released a video of Cindy Simpson asking for your help.
Please, someone say something. Stop protecting the person or persons who did this to her.
Give this family closure.


Comments

  1. The family wants to end their uncertainty (Ambiguous Loss, Dr. Pauline Boss) by getting "the big answer". "Closure" is a myth and a word that should not be used in the context of missing loved ones, for that matter, for anyone.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...