Skip to main content

Tex Enemark: The Great Feminist Warrior











In the world of politics, there are dolphins and there are sharks.
Tex Enemark was a dolphin.
Not that Tex wasn't above wielding a sharp elbow now and then. Every dolphin learns that the ocean is full of other bad fish who would happily filet the likes of him for dinner.
But he knew the secret of being a successful dolphin.
He learned to swim with sharks.
And he did so with aplomb.
He used his affable nature to disarm. He cajoled. He wined. He dined.
He laughed, and laughed and laughed.
Because Tex had one rare piece in his DNA often even missing in dolphins.
He was pure of heart. A golden child with hair to match, a big man with hard hands who enjoyed sinking ships in the waters around British Columbia, to attract marine life, and allow grown up boys like him to dive around looking at stuff like a character in a Stephen King novel, pretending to be in search of doubloons.
I'm sure he was laughing through his pain at the comments when he first posted the news he was dying of cancer on Facebook a few weeks back.
"View from my room in Vancouver General Hospital," he wrote. "I have been diagnosed with stage four stomach cancer and it is not clear what the future will hold."
Torrents of posts follows offering him the usual "hopes and prayers," "you got this," etc.
Finally he shut them down.
"I'm long past any treatment or hope of recovery. But I have enjoyed knowing you and wish you well."
You see, always the operative, Tex already had a plan.
Yesterday, we learned he had availed himself of doctor-assisted dying, the legislation recently brought in by the Trudeau Liberals.
In his last writing in the Tyee, he said he was enormously grateful to Dr. Jane Philpott and Jody Wilson-Raybould for "the law they worked out together that now allows me peaceful resolution of an intolerable medical condition."
In his parting shot, Tex acknowledged that he had received a handwritten letter from the Prime Minister acknowledging his contributions to public life.
"I hope we will find our way back to the vision of 2015 where transparency and inclusive leadership is how we move forward."
Wise words from a dolphin with just the slight detection of a deliberate elbow.
RIP Big Man.
All hail to the great feminist warrior.













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...