Skip to main content

Lost

At four in the morning, the alarm goes off and I hear the announcer on CBC Radio drone on as usual,  something about the orange clown south of the border. 

I slap the radio like it's some sort of pesky mosquito, in hopes of getting a few more seconds of peace. 

My little Aussie Shepherd jumps to attention. 

Pearl is four months old, and she's good at it.

She reminds me of Anna waking up her sister in the opening scene of Frozen. 

The sun is awake.
And I'm awake.
It's time to play!

It's Saturday, and I have to drive my husband to work in downtown Ottawa. Later, I have a date with my son and my granddaughter to celebrate Father's Day one day early. Time is a wastin'. 

I jump out of bed before Pearl pees on my shoes, then sit outside with my tea while Scott gets showered. Four in the morning is a fascinating time on my street which is almost always busy. It's a major artery during the day, brimming with buses, firetrucks, and bustling worker bees. 

But it's quiet this time of day as I sit out here in the side garden, sucking back some hot liquid behind a protective screen of hedge while watching grumpy but purposeful stragglers trundle down the boulevard, while the crackheads in the building across the way bid farewell to their prom dates on the doorstep.

Occasionally, there is an older person walking a dog, or a cyclist headed for downtown where the streets will be blocked all day, impeding traffic, for some charity event or other. It's the nature of Ottawa, a city that is both beautiful and frustrating on the weekends. Damn, this town is too healthy.

The lake beckons.

Only two weeks to go before I head off to stick my toes in the sand at Lac O'Neill, which is about an hour and a half from the pavement where I rest them now -- an hour too far in my view. Here, life is full of soot and grime. There, the air is clear and the only sirens I hear are the mating kind. 

Here I am grandma, changing nappies and singing songs from long ago to my granddaughter Squish whom I look after during the week while my daughter builds her corporate career. Here, I am the sitter of Belle the Basset Hound, the consoler-in-chief for the heartbroken, the fixer, the mender, the smile on a terrible day. Mom, I guess you'd call me.

There, I'm just Rose, a flawed creature of failed career and marriage, who sits on a rented porch drinking homemade hooch, unjudged by the loons, puppies, and the anonymous paddlers.

It's been a terrible year, full of sleepless nights and crabby days. There are too many "what ifs" this year, and I need to put them behind me. I told my doctor the other day that aside from the people on Facebook, I don't have any friends anymore. 

They're all dead.

I lost my best friend Jennette to cancer just after the New Year. Then, days later, I lost my beloved Black Lab, Finnigan, the dog who graces the photo above. Both loved the lake, and left their scents there over the years. This year, there will be an empty chair for Jennette, and a lake left quiet by the absence of a dog who revelled in the toing and froing of the daily Kong toss. 

Oh well, I tell myself. 

At least we had that time together.

This year, for the first time, I will be spending my birthday at the lake. 

I'll be 62 this year. Too old to find work, too young to retire. 

So I guess that means I'll be talking to you.

Come to the lake with me, let's share some stories, a few laughs, and hopefully fewer tears than I've spilled over the past year. You see, I want to remember, but I also want to forget the hurt, and wash my soul clean in the shallow lake. I want to go out and shout at the mountain, and sleep with the crickets and my ghosts. 

It's a good place.

Come with. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...