Skip to main content

David Milliken: You were a helluva guy




This week, the world lost a magnificent human being, in the form of Dave Milliken, a man I used to know just as "Millie."

He was my first city editor when I was a student reporter at the Ottawa Journal and he taught me a lot about the visual nature of journalism. Millie could always make a dog story about a fishing derby pop off the page. He had an eye for layout that was unbelievable; he was a photographer's dream editor, and a reporter's best friend.

He was also incredibly hot back in the day with a head of curly hair, accented by ass-enhancing jeans, and torso hugging t-shirts. He could never really leave behind his previous life as an honest to God rock legend.

We little kids had no idea about his rock star past. After the night shift, about 3 a.m., Millie refused to touch a guitar or keyboard even when tempted by the sultry tones of Meg Leonard doing a spot-on imitation of Joni Mitchell.

You see, the thing about Millie was he closed doors. The Townsmen were over, and Mill was never one to cry over spilled milk.

When the Journal folded, or was it before? Millie moved to Toronto to become a big shot with Canada Newswire, and traded the tight jeans for sensible business togs. He got rid of the curls and became GQ, baby, all the way, and climbed the corporate ladder to become a leader in the public relations business.

What remained was the happy smile, the twinkling eyes, and the good-to-go attitude that we, who were fortunate enough to know the guy, knew he could never hide.

When Millie was in the room, the disco ball shone on him, until it dimmed today.

What will I remember about Millie?

The million dollar smile that made a girl feel like she was the only person in the room.

The kindness, the good humor, and that famous giggle.

He kept it all up, even when he was dealt that horrible blow, that cancer thing that make us all want to beat the shit out of cancer. He posted about his hospital visits, like a good reporter, detailing the good with the bad.

He took his diagnosis with verve. He played music. He spent time with his family at the cottage.

He frickin' lived. And that's what pisses cancer off the most -- that he chose life.

The other day, I saw a photo posted by his daughter Melissa from the cottage.

I knew the end was near.

I am sad for all of us, and especially for his wonderful family.

Godspeed, Millie.

Musician, editor, journalist, mentor, friend.

You were a helluva guy.


Dave's on the right.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...