Skip to main content

Rastafari Safari: A photographer's personal journey through Jamaica



I wrote this blog a year ago after Bill Grimshaw completed his photo essay book about Jamaica. Sadly, he passed away recently.

Six years ago, Ottawa news photographer Bill Grimshaw set out on a journey that would change his life, and his view of the world. He became fascinated with the culture of Jamaica, and followed his nose into the nooks and crannies of this fascinating island, to meet with the average folk, and get to know what made them tick.

The result is a fabulous book he's just completed entitled Rastafari Safari. It's a journey in photographs punctuated by the words of the people themselves in song and poetry. Most of us know Bob Marley and Peter Tosh but few of us are aware of the unsung superstars of song in Jamaica, people like Cat Coore, who founded the Third World Band 43 years ago and the child star turned musical legend Errol Dunkley whose song Black Cinderella still echoes through the Big Yard in Arnett Gardens.



As tourists, we are happy to be served Red Stripe beer by the locals who toil in the big resorts by day who then retire to the slums at night. But, we are blissfully unaware of the struggles of this nation and the sacrifices made by Jamaica's national heroes like Paul Bogle who was executed by hanging at the Morant Bay Courthouse for his role in the Rebellion of 1867, which was a turning point in the political evolution of post-slavery colonial Jamaica.



Who among us has bought souvenir Rasta dolls in the resort gift shops and yet remain ignorant of the actual origins of the Rastafarian movement, and the first Rasta, Leonard Percival Howell who became the most persecuted man in Jamaican history, with over 50 arrests. Howell dedicated his life to fighting oppression and established a Rasta settlement planting food and ganja in a peaceful communal setting, only to have it raided, and its members sentenced to hard labor.



"Images of Rastas, formerly used as targets at police shooting ranges, now adorn trinkets in tourist gift shops," writes Grimshaw. "Victims of both vigilante and government-sanctioned persecution, Rastas are now permitted to use public transit. This was not always the case."

Why should we care?

Grimshaw believes that what's happening in Jamaica today informs our own debate about the legalization of marijuana. It also helps us better understand the psyche of a nation where people have long been repressed by their paternalistic and violent governments.



There is both anger and sweetness in the Jamaican culture, which is reflected in Grimshaw's incredible images. He has gone to great personal risk to help us have greater understanding of the people of Jamaica. Just last month, he barely escaped being trampled at a political rally.

The photographs are magical, the text is inspiring. Truly, it is a reflection of a personal journey filled with passion, and humor.



Rastafari Safari is available at www.magicchalicepress.com. A dollar of the proceeds from every book will be donated to Sandy Park Basic School in Kingston.












Comments

  1. wow love it great works and KNOWLEDGE it is the key ... keep sharing the real TALK

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...