Skip to main content

Hey Ottawa Employers: Take my husband, please!





Dear Ottawa Employers:

I am writing on behalf of my husband who has been videographer and journalist for more than 30 years. I would be grateful if you would consider giving him a job.

(Except for call centre. I don't want him to kill himself.)

To quote Henny Youngman: "Take my husband, please."

Scott took early retirement from the CBC about a decade ago to pay off his ex-wife, and get rid of her. He gave her a house and $100,000. (Many of you employers, I'm sure, can relate.)

In turn, she called the Canadian Blood Services, where he had donated platelets more than 100 times. She told them he was a gay, intravenous drug user.

As his wife of 14 years, I can swear an oath that he is none of the above.

Unfortunately, her claim resulted in his expulsion from the program, and he is no longer able to  donate blood and platelets, resulting in the Canadian Blood Services losing a valued contributor and life-saver.

After Scott left the CBC, we started a company making web videos for not-for-profits.

Unfortunately, this coincided with the video revolution, which meant any 14-year-old could take a video with their iPhone, and thus left us with $20,000 in video equipment which is now languishing in the closet. It also coincided with a relatively bleak period in the craft of journalism where both Scott and I have toiled over the years.

Today, there are many unemployed journalists who may have similar resumes.

But I'm not writing about them. They can get their own damned jobs.

Needless, to say, my immensely talented husband took a job in retail meaning he rode his bike to Home Depot at 4 a.m. He then took a flyer on working in the car business where he has been for the past eight years. For those of you not familiar with the car business, it is essentially Amway on wheels, a highly discriminatory venture which makes rich people richer, and causes car sales people to subsidize their earnings at the Ottawa Food Bank.

Now, as they say, he is looking for a new "opportunity."

In terms of skills, he has the mind of an engineer, can dismantle anything and put it back together. He is great at customer service and sales, and has a winning personality. He is particularly loved by dogs and old people.

He can speak and read French, but can't write it. But I ask you: who can?

My husband is willing to work long hours for minimum wage or better. He comes with his own set of lights and audio equipment and his own car. He can lift more than 200 pounds.

I can verify this, as he had to lift me off the floor when he told me he had left the car business.

As for me, if you have a job for me, I'll gladly take it as well. However, as a newly diagnosed skin cancer patient, I must warn you, I look like somebody shot me in the face with a BB gun so perhaps you would not like me serving coffee to your patrons. I would be happy working in a backroom wearing a phantom of the opera mask, if necessary.

People, hire my husband.

If you can't hire either of us, perhaps you could consider contributing to this blog. It will keep me off the street, and my face will not scare small children.

See the button on the top left hand side?

Feel free to press it. You know you want to.

Let's get old people back to work in this country.

As Red Green famously said, "We may not be handsome but we're handy."





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...