Skip to main content

Loblaws needs to catch up with its consumers



Update: Since this post was published, an internal memo from Loblaws, obtained by Canadian Press, revealed that French's ketchup was being pulled from stores to stop the "cannibalization" of the Loblaws' brand by the Canadian product. Loblaws denies this, of course. Maybe they're smarter, and dumber, than I gave them credit for.


Loblaws had some 'splainin' to do yesterday after it pulled French's ketchup off the shelf because it wasn't a big seller. The people spoke, and the grocery chain had it back on the shelves before you could say, "Want fries with that?"
Despite its claims that it sources local whenever possible, it's quite clear that the Westons don't give a rat's ass about where they get stuff. Either that, or they simply don't pay attention to the news.
There was great uproar when Heinz took its act on the road and left Ontario throwing hundreds out of work. And yet, Heinz is still front and centre in Loblaws grocery stores. And it is regularly promoted as part of the company's PC Points Program.
French's still operates in this province, in Leamington, and still buys local tomatoes to make its condiment, yet Loblaws was quick to eighty-six the ketchup because of "poor sales".
According to the president of French's, sales of the ketchup were up four hundred times since consumers became aware that the company gives people jobs in Ontario, and supports local farmers.
Guess Galen Weston didn't get the memo.
Maybe he went to private school with the Heinz's. Maybe his dad is pals with John Kerry (husband of Teresa Heinz).
Whatever.

Part of the issue is that Loblaws doesn't really understand its customers.
In my local ghetto store, just last year, Loblaws spent weeks peddling Wagyu beef that is not only $55 bucks a steak, but it is also horrible for you. Our store was also flogging $50 fish, too, even though the majority of its customers are middle to lower class.
Nobody bought the stuff, until it was put on the "half off" rack. And even then it was too pricey for the local yokels.
Another problem, at least in my store, is that President's Choice introduces great products, hooks us on them, then stops selling them. Case in point: Naan Rounds which I use every single morning as part of my healthy eating regime. They are perfect for homemade Egg McMuffins because they aren't too small like, well, English muffins, and they properly hold an egg and some ham.
I can eat one of these at my desk without all the goo dripping down my elbows.
But do you think I can find them?
Last week, I had to go to four stores to find them among probably 50 variations on bread that most people don't eat.
I was told they weren't big sellers.
So now, when I see them, I grab four or five packages.
The reason they can't sell these is because they don't know how to market them.
I've told lots of people about them, and they said, "hey, great idea, I'm going to try that."
Yet I've never seen anybody in the store doing a demonstration.
Why a demonstration? Because unlike English muffins, you use two piece of naan bread. You don't have to cut them and your fingers in half to get to the deliciousness.
If Loblaws figured out how to promote these, like it does a lot of really weird and sketchy products, it would sell a boat load of them.
Trust me.
People might even put French's Ketchup on them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...