Skip to main content

Hy's Steakhouse and the demise of the Ottawa expense account




The Martini Ranch, aka Hy's Steakhouse,* was once the bastion of mandarins and politicians, a place where nobody blinked over a $300 luncheon bill. Soon, it will be a Walmart, or a Baby Gap.

The chattering class has spent the last week pondering its demise. All the networks have been busy interviewing the last Hill journalists still with a pulse in this city, wondering what it all means. How could a stuffy dark place with absolutely no ambience, with a menu that offers no hint of leafy greens, possibly go down?

A lot of the talking heads are offering such opinions as the culture has changed and journalists and politicians don't drink the way they used to.  Some of them are actually blaming poor old Jim Flaherty who presumably kept the place going on his tab alone. Alas, Jim swims with the fishes, and no longer eats cow on a plate.

Why did Hy's fail? I'll tell you why.

The real reason for the fall of Hy's and other high priced venues in Ottawa is simple.

Blame it on the demise of the government expense account.

It wasn't long ago when you could go into any posh restaurant in town and see a gaggle of deputy ministers ordering several $70 bottles of wine in one go, at lunch. They'd be sitting with their minions, or better yet, lobbyists who sometimes offered to pick up the tab. After the sponsorship scandal, the rules changed and a lot of these government suits lost their portable taxpayer-funded ATMs. And a lot of lobbyists and Don Drapers either got real jobs, or went broke.

Many of them stopped going to the expensive places and started to go to the Blue Gardenia (which has a salad the size of Caesar's Palace for only $6).

You see many politicos, journalists, mandarins, and other soothesayers make big bucks but they are also over-extended thanks to their purchase of luxury cottages, boats, and golf memberships, while others are sitting at home under house arrest for forgetting to declare millions in income. Still others are over-burdened by child support payments to several wives who were angered when they were tossed aside for executive assistants.

Without the big expense account, most of these Masters of the Universe are hot messes who can now barely afford their bus passes since the recent increase.

Sure, there was always still a bit of a crowd at the Martini Ranch, but by the looks of the guys being interviewed yesterday, they are a pretty grey group comprised mainly of male journalists in denial, who are still hitting on 20-year-olds.

Most of them are in serious need of fibre, something that Hy's has not ever offered.

I'd hate to be their colorectal doctors.

Anyway, it's gone. Good riddance.

It will do the stragglers a bit of good to step out into the light, and start getting a life.

And drink water instead of Scotch and $15 a glass wine, and eat a salad once in a while.

*(With apologies to the Hy's staff who are excellent. Sorry you had to lose your jobs.)








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...