Skip to main content

Let's talk about seniors' mental health





Today is Bell Let's Talk Day, the day when we can all talk about mental health.

Here's what I want to talk about.

I was at the Queensway Carleton Hospital yesterday to bring Jennette, my little cancer warrior, to find her 88-year-old father who was sent there because he had chest pains. We got to the hospital, and we were told he wasn't there.

"Of course he's here," I said, seeing the worry in poor Jennette's face. "The home said they sent him here."

I looked around and there were at least 200 souls sitting in the waiting room in various states of distress. One woman was hobbling around on her cane crying.

We were escorted into the intake room where there were more than 30 people, mostly seniors, laying on gurneys. There was no sign of Jim so we waited in the hallway where we were constantly jostled so that the orderlies could add more gurneys.

It was like a scene out of Code Black, the series about a Los Angeles hospital that is in a constant state of overcrowding.

Aside from the patients, the place was over-run by paramedics, about a dozen of them who were hanging around, checking their phones or half lying on gurneys.

I have been to many hospitals in my 60 years, and I've never seen anything like it. The intake room was a virtual litter box filled with little old men and women languishing, crying, staring into space.

Scott, Jennette and I stood by a doorway across from a woman in her 80s sporting a sutured eye with blackness running down her cheek. She looked at me with pleading eyes.

"Can you help me?" she asked. "I need the nurse. I want to get out of this bed."

Being the helpful type, I buttonholed the volunteer who just shrugged.

"She's been doing that all afternoon."

Then the volunteer walked away. Every medical person who walked by ignored the woman who was obviously suffering from some sort of dementia.

"Stay in that bed," ordered an overwhelmed nurse. "You hit your head."

"No I didn't," the woman said, turning to me.

"I scraped it yesterday; now they won't let me out of this bed."

I tried my best to humor the woman, but she got louder and louder.

"Get me outta here," she said trying to negotiate the barrier on the side of the bed.

I smiled at her, and Scott started talking to her. Her mood seemed to pick up.Then we were ordered out of the intake room because there were too many people.

As I was leaving, I waved to the lady who was now spread-eagled and exposing her vagina to the whole room. Nobody even noticed.

How could this happen, I wondered. Didn't the staff see that the woman was confused and in distress? Why couldn't they at least have taken her to a more private place, and allowed her to keep her dignity?

Just because she had dementia and was there all alone, didn't mean she should be treated worse than an animal. If that were my mother, I would have screamed bloody murder.

I should have done something, or said something. Frankly I didn't know what to do.

So I did nothing -- until now.

I think about what I would have done if I'd seen an animal in distress, or a child wandering around asking for help. I would have endangered myself to help a dog. I would have spent all day helping the child in distress.

Heck, I would have done the same for a senior who fell on the ice. And so would you.

Why are we so quick to turn our back on our elders who have mental health issues? Don't they deserve our respect? Don't they deserve support and kindness?

That's what I want to talk about.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...