Skip to main content

Cancer Diaries: Going Down the Yellow Brick Road

On Wednesday, my little cancer-fighting warrior Jennette Levett got the news that she was being sprung from the Ottawa Hospital after a grueling two weeks which involved an eight-hour surgery to remove the cancer, seven teeth and part of her jaw. She also had to endure a complicated procedure in which doctors took skin grafts from her arm and leg.

When it was all done, the surgery rocked her world. JLev looked like a fatigued Rocky Balboa, the prize-fighting wannabee before he started punching cows. There were tubes everywhere. She was a living breathing, beeping little machine with glassy eyes and a Howdy Doody grin, sewn shut.

Here she is the day after her surgery. Man, she's gonna kill me for this one.  The smartphone has made us all into mad paparazzi.



She spent two weeks breathing and trying to talk through a tracheotomy, with goo being suctioned out of her on a constant basis. Her arm looked like a skinned chicken thigh, and I can't even guess what her leg looked like.

Jennette couldn't talk, was stoned out of her tree on some very interesting drugs, and had to be fed through her nose. Her cheeks swelled up so she looked very much like a crazed Alvin the Chipmunk in a desperate search for his hoola-hoop.

Amazingly, it wasn't long before she started to look like herself. Really, you couldn't tell from her face that only a few days earlier docs had been bailing hay out of her gob; the only evidence appeared to be a necklace of stitches and a trach sticking out of her neck.

I can't say it was fun for her. The pain had to have been tough. I mean, I am crying to my husband if I accidentally chomp down on my tongue after a feed of chicken wings.

I can't even imagine where they put her tongue while they were operating.  Do they pin it like an up-do or use duct tape to tack it to her cheek? Then again, maybe it's best that remains a secret between the gob-cutters.

The operation was hard, but it was a small price to pay. The doctors saved her life by carving the cancer right out of her mouth. No chemo, no radiation. Jennette is a very lucky woman.

Within a week of her surgery, with the sutures out, she was beginning to look human again. Not only could she talk, we couldn't keep her quiet. She was ordering around the nurses a bit, and even threw the poor cafeteria lady out of her room when she presented her with a fine meal of Ensure and Carnation Instant Breakfast. You see, when you only have limited capacity for speech, the first things that go are "please and thank you!"

All in all, she was in great humor. After all, wasn't she Jack of Beanstalk fame, the little minion who felled the giant? I could almost detect a swagger in her step as she strolled bare-assed into the bathroom. Almost.

Then came the news she was going home, and that sent her into a tizzy.

"I'm scared," she wrote to me on her iPad. "I don't know how I'm going to look after myself."

By Wednesday night, there was no turning back. The witch was killed by the house, and she was walking along The Yellow Brick Road into an uncertain future. We arrived at the hospital, packed her up, thanked the nurses and stuffed her into her car for the five minute ride from the hospital to her apartment.

(It is my undying theory that a person can never be too close to a railway station, airport or hospital!)

And so her new chapter begins.

Because Jennette is a widow, living alone, she is being supported by the Going Home Program which helps people to readjust to their home circumstances. Already, we've been visited by a nurse who will come in every other day to change her bandages. And she will also get assistance with housework, bathing and transportation.

Meantime, I've become her personal assistant. I take calls from her entourage because she still has difficulty talking, and I greet all the nurses and personal support workers at the door. There are so many of them, she can't keep up with all the appointments. I'm also making her pureed food until she can make the adjustment to solid food, which will be another few weeks.

We had an appointment this morning, with a worker from the Going Home Program, and the phone was ringing off the hook.

"You're being surrounded by love, here, Jennette," I told her.

She grinned, and her eyes twinkled. She turned to the worker, who asked about her fabulous doctors, the ones who will always be heroes to us, the ones who wake up every few days and do this very same operation that saves so many lives.

"What's your doctor's name?" the worker asked.

"Dr. Yummy Pants," Jennette chortled.

She's back, I thought.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...