Skip to main content

The other victims of war




My father died the result of PTSD when my mother was 34, but it took her 25 years for the system to recognize that she was a war widow. She received her first Veteran's Pension cheque when she was in her late 50s.

By that time, she was crippled both mentally and physically. She had already suffered a nervous breakdown, and her body was ravaged from a job working in a textile mill. She could not walk more than a block and had been living on a disability pension which barely covered her rent and the peanut butter sandwiches and coffee that she lived on.

We petitioned Veterans Affairs, and finally got them to recognize that my father had indeed died from a war time injury and that my mother was entitled to both financial and legal recognition of that fact. It wasn't the money that mattered to my mother, it was an end to decades of humiliation as she was forced on welfare until we were old enough, and then into a job that few of us could endure.

The fallout from war goes beyond those bright and shiny faces we see on the television this time of year, the men who lost their lives in wars large and small. It pierces the eyes and souls of those of us who are left behind to suffer in silence: the mothers, the fathers, the grandparents, the children and grandchildren.

We are the collateral damage of war and there is little recognition of that fact. Our loved ones are dead and we are left with holes in our hearts. I didn't know my dad, but I sure knew my mom, and her struggles, as I watched her every day beat at path to her terrible job, then come home and engage in a pattern of chain-smoking and mad drinking.

I live with the fallout of war every single day. I think of my dad often. And every time I see a flag draped coffin coming home from foreign parts, I think about the families and the burden they will bear. At first, they bask, though sadly, in the honor that is bestowed upon their loved one. But then they eventually meld into the background. They stop being invited over by the couples who don't want to think about the fact that they might be next. They are ostracized if they don't handle the stress and loneliness well. And they pass along the effects of war to their children and their children's children.

Alcoholism, drug addiction, inappropriate relationships, job losses, depression, anger, alienation, feelings of self-,pity, shame and hopelessness -- these are the things that one feels after the death of someone close who is taken too soon. That fact that many die in senseless wars as victims of violence makes it much worse. There is no restorative justice for the survivors.

A medal and a flag gathering dust in a wardrobe, well, it just doesn't cut it.

You never get over it.

You never move on.

Never.

So on this Remembrance Day, take some time to think about the other important people who are sacrificed on the altar of war.

They matter, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...