Skip to main content

Max Keeping: The man of a thousand telethons




Over the next few days or weeks, a lot of people will be talking about Max Keeping, the public figure, the man who raised millions for charity, the philanthropist who gave away his money to good works, the fellow who asked everyone to "make a difference in the life of a child."

Max was all those things, and more. I only have to mention a hundred journalists who went on to fame and fortune after being sprinkled by Max's fairy dust. Max could always spot talent, that's for sure, and he could mold it like putty and take an unformed and unconfident journalism student and turn him or her into a star. He did that; he made a lot of people overnight successes.

He also hired people who wouldn't normally get a shot at television, certainly not in today's world. Leigh Chapple, who had a formidable talent, was also blessed with a weight issue. Max didn't care. He kept Leigh on the air for decades. He looked beyond the hair and the teeth -- though he hired his share of those folks -- and drilled down and found the very best of journalism sometimes lurking in the basement of Algonquin College, sometimes in the Arts Tower of Carleton University.

He gave a bunch of us our shot on television, subjecting the viewer to truly awful news reports put together by kids who didn't know a camera from their big notebooks. You didn't have to wait for the tagline, you knew who was presenting from "The Carleton University School of Journalism."

Max understood raw talent. He opened his heart to it. He gave so many students a shot at broadcast stardom and many didn't disappoint. Arthur Kent, Richard Ginsberg, , Peter Van Dusen and his sidekick brother Mark, Linda McLellan and Nancy Wilson who both went on to host Canada AM, Paul Workman, and many more. Some of these folks covered Ottawa City Council and Boards of Education. Today, they are foreign correspondents, television hosts and more.

I first met Max, like many people did, at Molly McGuire's Pub on Rideau Street. He was friendly, mirthful and three sheets to the wind. He threw many sheets to the wind during his garrulous travels through the Ottawa Valley, eventually hiring a driver to take him from venue to venue. Max never stopped.

I met him again in the late 70s when I was a Carleton student not very much interested in a career in broadcast. Truth be told, I was terrible at it, a bit of a slouch, with a chip on my shoulder. Max tore me a new one when I went out and wasted yards of hugely expensive film stock to cover a silly story about a daycare which was "throwing the babies out with the bathwater." So I spent the rest of the week acting as a spear-carrier going to the liquor store and rose shop buying supplies. You see Max always liked a bottle of rum on the desk for the post-mortem after the newscast. He also liked to dress up his newscasters like ushers at a wedding with roses in their lapels.

As I said tonight on Twitter, "Thanks for the memories. Rum and Roses."

For all his philanthropy, many of us of a certain age knew that Max was no saint. There are stories that remain untold about the man, who had a darker side, such a dark side that we would make the nuns wet themselves if they heard them. He had a police file a foot thick.

It might be best to bury those stories along with the man because Max turned his life around, and worked hard for his wings. He had a lot to repent for. Let's just leave it at that.

My husband Scott worked with Max in the 70s, briefly, as a cameraman. He doesn't remember much about the rotund little man with a permanent wave and rat tail.

I said to Scott tonight that I believe that Max lived his life externally. He always kept moving, like a Stephen King character, The Walking Man, lest the darkness overtake him.

You have to give him credit, the old bugger, he bamboozled and charmed his way into even the crustiest soul. If he were a movie character, he might have been Ted, the bear with a potty mouth and soul, but with the heart of gold.

Or maybe Max was like a fine old car, who went on too many road trips. He was all bent and corroded. His body might have been stripped of its parts, but he left behind a fine old chassis.

Farewell, Max, the man of a thousand telethons.

Rest well, long liner.

You've done good.

Yer mudder would be proud.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...