Skip to main content

Ottawa Citizen: Please read me! I'm free!



Two weeks ago, I received my first unsolicited copy of the Ottawa Citizen.
I used to be a subscriber, maybe for twenty years. I also used to subscribe to the Globe and Mail -- even the New York Times...for a time.
I loved everything about newspapers. I wrote for them. I was devoted to them. I kept copies of my own articles until they became yeller. I even laminated one.


It is now the color of a rubbie's fingers.
Yuck.
I don't write for papers much anymore because it's too hard to get published. I can't take the rejection.
That's why I blog.
Anyway, a few years ago, I stopped getting the paper. I read everything online now, just like the rest of the world. I get most of the content for free. If a news organization has a paywall, I don't care. I stop reading it.
I get the flyers delivered right to my inbox. I have something called Obit Messenger to tell me which of my friends has shuffled off.
My carbon foot print is now more like a toe dip.
I'm proud of that.
So when I got this free subscription from the Citizen, I was concerned that I might be lured back to the old habit.
After two weeks of home delivery, there's not a chance.
The first few papers piled up on the coffee table. They weren't like the old papers which were inches thick. These weekday papers are more like pamphets. Pass.
I tried to read the Saturday paper and got through the first couple of sections, then I put it aside and picked up my iPhone and checked Twitter.
Then I checked Facebook.

The Saturday paper used to be a must read that took me hours to comb through over cups of coffee.
Now I go to the gym instead.
The problem is there's nothing in the paper to read anymore.
At least there's nothing to read that has anything to do with my life.
I don't own a home, so I don't care about the two home sections. There's a section called Me which I really don't understand. There's another one called Context that didn't give me any.
And I've never read the Sports.
I went looking for the Obit section, and that's when it hit me. The Citizen has been holding out on the Obituaries. The Obit messenger only sends me half a dozen blurbs when there are hundreds of other people dying in Ottawa.
I just never knew.
No wonder the families never speak to me.
In reality, I hear about the deaths of people who matter to me over Facebook.
Then I read all the 'sorry for your loss' posts. Most of us don't even go to funerals anymore.
We pay our respects virtually.
And we hear about memorial services that are promised but never happen.
A lot if people don't bother with death notices anymore.
It's like Shirley Van Dusen once said to me when I enquired about who would find her husband if he died while she was on vacation.
"Oh someone will find him eventually."
Often I find out about someone who has died when I go to wish them Happy Birthday on Facebook only to discover they died two years before.
Huh.
Guess they forgot to give their relatives their Facebook password before the doctor applied the paddles.

Back to the Citizen. It's sitting here in my black box staring at me, taunting me, begging me to read it.
I'll have to look away until Monday when the garbage people take away all the useless pages.
Thank God Postmedia canceled the Sunday Edition.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...