Skip to main content

Attention Target Shoppers: I'm Nick from Target's mom and I'm packin'





My son Nick came home yesterday after an exhausting day dealing with jerks and morons who are salivating over the deals they are expecting as Target Canada closes.
"I came up with a good line," he said, whipping off the Target badge that will soon be memorabilia.
"Adults can only be served if accompanied by children."
He and his girlfriend both work at Target. They lost their jobs a couple weeks ago and, in spite of that, are still being good soldiers, showing up on time, not calling in sick.
In turn, Target has rewarded them by giving them work loading and unloading trucks because the heavy lifting staff has been let go. They have been told if they don't show up for work, they'll be let go with no severance. It is, after all, up to Target to determine when the axe will fall on their poor young heads.
Some of the managers at Target walked away with a cool $11,000. Others will get nothing. The worker bees will get nothing except for the scraps they are currently being fed.
They've even had their employee discount cards ripped from their cold dead hands.
Meanwhile, Target shoppers are making things a whole lot worse.
They are lecturing and hectoring the poor staffers, and offering lots of opinions on why Target Canada bit the dust. They are tying up these poor workers with mundane questions about the deals that are available. Word, people, you get 5% off Apple products! A lot of stuff won't be going on sale because the vendors -- people like book writers and sellers -- are taking their merchandise off the shelves lest they be paid fire sale amounts.


The deals will be on the shelves with stickers. Look before you query. Leave the poor staffers alone.
In other words, go ahead, open your wallets but keep your mouths shut.
It could be you, you know, so don't be in such a hurry to abuse the poor people who are too busy liquidating Target to look for jobs.
Jobs? What jobs?
Sears offered to hire some of them in six months, but I believe I heard somewhere that Sears is moving out of Canada.
They can forget about an exciting career in banking, too. Layoffs are happening there, even though the banks are continuing to realize record profits.
The only recourse for many at Target is to go back to school.
And the federal government, Gawd bless it, is giving them that opportunity if they are on EI. That's swell, I suppose, living on scraps in your mother's basement, while taking up some sort of trade that the Harper government deems worthy for you. (Ma, the meat loaf!)
I suppose it's something.
Remember Target shoppers that the close down of this once well-intentioned American giant affects more than the 17,000 people who are out on their asses in a couple of weeks time. It affects people like me who look forward to rent from the youngins living downstairs.
I will be subsidizing them while they go to refrigeration school or while  they get diplomas in dirty Harper-supported, environmentally-unsound careers. So I have a stake.
I have to listen to the Target employees crying in the basement.
I have to buy milk for my granddaughter.
I have to give them bus money.
So, please rewind and be kind.
Don't let me come over there.
I'm Nick from Target's mom and I'm packin'.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...