Skip to main content

Ghosts of Christmas Past



This is the way my family used to look.

There's my mom, my two brothers and their wives, my darling niece, Maya, Uncle "Jivin'" Ivan and my little cousin Marty. That was a long time ago. Even then, as you can see, I was the centre of attention. That's me with the red wine in my hand, which is another story.

I haven't been back to St. Catharines since Jivin' Ivan died a few years back. Even then, my appearance was only fleeting. Couldn't get out of there fast enough. (Some people know exactly what I'm talking about.)

I spent a lot of lonely Christmases since my marriage fell apart back in the early '90s and I had to raise my kids alone, in the townhouse in South Keys, the place where my son Stef and I found a needle as we were walking to the video store. The neighborhood where a fellow stabbed himself to death, the place where several folks were shot in gangland events. The place where Stef and I watched a kitten getting killed by an OC Transpo bus. The place where my daughter Marissa got run over by an OC Transpo bus, and survived.

Aside from the high crime rate, and body count, I have good memories of South Keys. I made the best of being alone at Christmas. I surrounded myself with friends, as most orphans do. They put a warm loving blanket over my despondent carcass. I don't know what I would have done without those friends, who propped me up when I was feeling low -- especially Pete and Brenda, and Roger and Jennette. Pete found my son Stef a PS2 when there weren't any to be found one Christmas. He saved Christmas that year, and made us a lovely dinner.

Pete's gone now. So is Roger. They both died this spring.

Now my friends. Brenda and Jennette are widows, alone, like I used to be. It's my job to keep them steady, make them feel that they are cared for this Christmas. I owe them, big time.

I brought Brenda a Christmas tree. I'm having Jennette over at Boxing Day. They remain a constant thread from my past life, and I'm not about to break that thread, because it means the world to me.

And another thing is happening this year. My old friends Wendy and Ed from St. Catharines are coming for Boxing Day. I haven't spent Christmas with them since the days they used to drop into my mom's apartment. We were in high school

We lost touch along the way, got busy raising our own kids, but the way I figure it is this. We were friends when we were young, now we can be friends when we are old. They, too, represent a thread in my life, a link to my past, a reminder of the golds and browns of my mother's couch, of cases of beer and strobe lights, of Alice Cooper and Valdy played loud on the old stereo.

On Christmas eve, I will surround myself with the newest rendition of my family, the three kids who aren't kids anymore., their spouses, the dogs, and of course, my wonderful husband, Scott who made me whole again, who soldered the family circle back together.

I will hold him close, especially, because I understand how fleeting life, and love, can be.

We never know when we will be taken, never have an inkling when the family circle will be broken once again, left in tatters for the remainders to put back together in their own way.

So we have to grab on, and hold tight, until it's time for the new generation to make other arrangements. What those arrangements will be no one will be able to predict.

But I will always be there for them, in the photos that they will bring out at Christmas. Rose, the young girl with attitude surrounded by her mom and family, Rose the single mother who always tried to do her best, and Rose, the old lady in the corner of this year's picture, the matriarch, bringing all the threads together once again.

On this Christmas, 2014, I remain grateful to the Ghosts of Christmas past for teaching me the importance of family in my life. I'm grateful, too, to those in my present, who make me feel special, if only for a day.

We are proof positive that the family circle, no matter how horribly shattered, can be mended and made whole. All it takes is an imaginary glue gun and lots of tape.

It will never look the same. But as Leonard Cohen so badly sings, there are cracks in everything; that's how the light gets in.

Merry Christmas, from my family to yours.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...