Skip to main content

Canada 2014: The Year of the Bad Boy

While other nations were celebrating their achievements in 2014, Canada was being mocked as a country of drunkards, rapists and yahoos.

Rob Ford

Was it so long ago that Toronto Mayor Rob Ford was being snapped on the Danforth, speaking in Jamaican patois, wobbling in his sister's basement threatening to punch the lights out of top coppers and smokin' the peace pipe with thugs?

Even though he has garnered sympathy for having a tumor, the size of a grapefruit, Rob Ford stands alone as a beacon of ridicule. He may be gone, but it will be centuries before Toronto lives him down.




Justin Bieber

The pride of Stratford, Ontario, young Biebs has been following in the footsteps of other great Canadians, like Kiefer Sutherland, by spending more time on the police blotter than in the public eye. Drunk, high, belligerent, the Biebs has been our number one export for bad news, getting such a bad rap that Americans actually started a petition to have him sent back.

No, thanks, America. He's yours.



Jian Ghomeshi

What is left to be said about the former host of CBC Radio's Q and serial abuser, L'il Jian Ghomeshi, known now at "The Persian Predator".

Once the darling of the fashion and film set in Toronto, Jian has become the stinky kid in the playground, and is now spinning his old Moxie Fruvous records in his mom's basement.

Really puts a kink in his love life having to bring girls back to the 'burbs. To ensure he is well behaved his mom leaves the girls a baseball bat in the powder room.

Ma! The meatloaf!



Seth Rogen

He's the lovable schlub from Vancouver who brought tasty new phrases to the vernacular of pubescent stoners everywhere. Now he and his sidekick James Franco are responsible for the near takedown of Sony Corporation by hackers because he decided to make a faux-snuffie about taking out the leader of North Korea. Well done, sir!

We wouldn't care about boring and racist emails that have been made public, but dude! You are responsible for hackers taking down the Sony Playstation website for the entire Christmas vacatio

Oh, well, Seth is laughing all the way to the bank.

You're welcome, America!




Dumb Sun Reporter (nobody needs to remember his name)

Finally, an honorable mention to the intern from Sun Media who nearly go into a fist fight with Anderson Cooper who was up here in Canada to cover the shooting of Corporal Nathan Cirillo. The kid asked Anderson for a selfie, and the White Lion turned on him and asked what kind of news organization would hire someone who had no respect for a fallen soldier. What organization indeed?



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...