Skip to main content

Jian Ghomeshi and his Angry Inch

It's now been a week since Jian Ghomeshi told his fans he was taking time away from CBC Radio, six days since the CBC said it was distancing itself from the great man, five days since the CBC fired him for his lifestyle choices, four days since the Toronto Star let loose a can of whoop ass on the host of Q, three days since the first woman put her name forward claiming he choked and hit her, two days since nine women came forward to say the same and worse.

The scandal started slowly enough but quickly resulted in a white squall of outrage from women -- and right-thinking men -- who took to social media to express their disgust that the CBC allowed Ghomeshi to walk their halls for even one day after a woman complained about him cupping her butt and promising to fuck her with his Angry Inch.

Boy, it must have been some week at the CBC, which is now so blown apart by this scandal that it's bringing in outsiders to talk to all the women who have been threatened, leched at, fondled and screamed at, and penetrated against their will by a man with an ego the size of the wall on which is portrait was allowed to hang, a portrait which was quickly taken down just in case it was vandalized by eggs and ketchup by the women who worked in the building.

Jian still has some supporters --Christie Blatchford, for one -- who decry the national and social media for unleashing accusations from anonymous women upon the Great Ghomeshi.

None of the women have filed charges, his supporters say. What about due process?

Fuck due process.

Where was the due process for all the women he caught in the glare of his fabulous headlights for more than ten years? They were all too afraid of his power, and have kept silent for a decade. What about the women we don't know about, and I'm guessing they are legion, spread as they are as far as book tours took him. 

Where's their due process?

It doesn't matter anyway.

Ghomeshi is toast. He'll never work in this country again unless he plans a career making pornos.

The fact is, the collective howl has done more to damage The Angry Inch than any court case. He'll never be invited to a swell party again, never hear his own voice on the radio, never be able to go to the LCBO without fingers being pointed in his direction.

They say a man is only as good as his name.

Ghomeshi was a name,, now he's only two letters: FU.

His name is gone, his poster has been ripped off the wall at CBC, and his celebrity has turned to notoriety; like a once juicy Porterhouse, he is now crawling with maggots.

Hopefully, the CBC -- and the nation -- has learned a lesson.

Perhaps his case can act as a cautionary tale.

When you meet a charming celebrity at a book signing, never let him take you to a second location.








 

Comments

  1. Bang on! Sorry about the pun but I couldn't help myself. But seriously, he shouldn't have been able to hide this for so long. It's so sad that women still, to this day, don't feel they can find justice for sexual assault.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...