Skip to main content

A cheap alternative to taxis? What an Uber idea!







A few years back, when I was single, I was out on the town and waved down an Ottawa taxi.

Like a lot of people who use taxis, I'd had a few too many to drink so I was happy just to roll into a car and get home as soon as possible. It wasn't three in the morning or anything, it was maybe about eight o'clock, after I'd met some friends in the mid-afternoon at the press club.

The taxi driver was friendly enough, and I was perhaps oversharing. as I get when I've had a few. He seemed like a nice guy, and even flirted with me a little bit.

I got home, paid him and thanked him for the chat. I opened my door and was just about to go in when he appeared right behind me. He obviously had more things on his mind than retrieving a lost purse or scarf.

He became aggressive and actually tried to push through the door over my objections.

Fortunately, I lived with a very big black Lab at the time who was also at the door to meet me. I managed to get into my condo and close the door. Maggie was doing her job, and made sure he knew that there would be two dogs in this fight and her teeth were bigger than his balls.

He left, and I sat there shaking for a few minutes while Maggie continued to throw herself at the door, God bless 'er.

I didn't report this incident because I was frankly ashamed that I'd let it get that far. Besides, I'd flagged him down; I had no idea who he was or what cab he drove.

Lesson learned.

I made sure I never, again, flagged down a taxi in this city. Even now, I am very reticent to take cabs alone after a night on the town. I'd rather take my chances on the bus.

I was reminded of that incident this week after the City of Ottawa started, as the former mayor used to say, swinging its big dick around in an attempt to quash a start up taxi alternative. Uber, for those not aware, is a high tech company that allows people to call a driver from an application on their smart phones instead of through a dispatcher. The company operates in 40 different countries and offers a low cost (nearly half the cost) fee to customers who want a ride home.

Uber started just last week and two drivers have already been ticketed and face steep fines for driving without a taxi licence.

The city's argument is that taxis must be regulated for the safety of passengers. This means that a cab driver must go to school, pass a test and fork out $40,000 for a licence. Most cabbies can't afford that kind of scratch so they work for greedy  people who keep their cars running all night and that -- not health and safety -- is why it now costs more to take a cab back and forth to the Canadian Tire Centre than it does for a medium priced hockey ticket.

Now I'm all for health and safety, but this is the service industry.

It's not the transportation of dangerous goods industry. To drive a cab, a person needs to be (or should be) knowledgeable about the city, courteous to passengers and understand the rules of the road. He should not be a rapist like the guy who drove me home that night who probably didn't have a criminal record.

Yet.

All the regulation in the world isn't going to stop bad behavior and we don't need bylaw officers wagging their fingers at cab drivers. That's what the police are for, and they're already paid for in a separate budget.

What a driver needs is a clean driver's abstract, a clean criminal record, and a safe car.

What's ironic is that a school bus driver, making less than minimum wage, isn't set to the city's same high standards even though she has taken charge of the safety of our children. So why are taxis so stringently regulated and why must there be a monopoly on ferrying folks from A to B?

I'd like to suggest that the high costs of taxis are contributing to danger on our roads.

Our society doesn't want people to drink and drive and so the government runs all kinds of television ads all about Arriving Alive, Drive Sober. The ads suggest getting a designated driver, taking the bus or using a convenient app for a cab company.

But a lot of people, particularly young people, want to drink together, so it's hard to find that stellar young citizen who is willing to drink soda water all evening (nerd, alert!).

With no designated driver, kids often stagger out of bars still scraping the Jagermeister off their lips. Oh, geez, they think, they're too drunk to walk to the bus stop and don't have an extra fifty bucks in their pockets. But they might be able to scrape together twenty between them.

And there might be one kid still sober enough to be able to use an app on his phone.

A lot of people still drive drunk because cabs are too expensive. Don't tell me different or I'll have to out some of my old friends. People pour out of bars into their cars, of course they do.

But maybe, maybe if they had a reasonable, affordable alternative to that kind of bad behavior, they would leave the keys at the bar.

That alone is a reason to applaud Uber and invite it into the marketplace.

I'm not convinced the current taxis are any safer. The Uber drivers are screened and background checked. They use their own cars and pay the appropriate amount of insurance.

They are certainly better than the ghost cabs my kids used to take.

And I'd take my chances with Uber over a night time trip on OC Transpo any day.

Or the chance that I might be raped and left for dead on my stoop if not for a giant Black Lab with a healthy set of choppers.

A cheap alternative to taxis..what an Uber idea!




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...