Skip to main content

The light and dark of Robin Williams






How lucky we were to have Robin Williams in our lives.

My generation fell in love with him as Mork. Then our kids fell hard for Aladdin and Mrs. Doubtfire.

Robin Williams was lucky, too,  to be able to live his life as a creative tour de force, to put his joy out into the world like a boomerang.

Joy begets joy. That's the beauty of creativity.

It's one of the greatest gifts a person can be given by God, if you believe in God. It's also a tremendous curse for many, people like Robin whose art came from inner pain.

We couldn't see it, but it was there. He talked about it, tried to rehab it.

It just wouldn't go away, the pain.

It is the devil's pain.

The devil waits, he is the patient sort, standing in the shadows at the AA meetings, and hiding in the closet in the dark. And it hides in the bottom of the bottle of Glenfiddick, just sitting there all warm and cosy.

It is a fortunate man who can escape the demon. Robin nearly escaped him. At least he kept him at bay for twenty years. But in the end, for people like Robin, the devil holds all the cards.

Sometimes the only option to escape the demon is suicide.

Those who have never felt the demon touch their hearts simply cannot understand it.

What a waste, they say. He had everything.

They cannot feel his pain through their own selfishness.

The clown has left the circus and he hasn't even finished the show. We want our money back.

How could he do this to us?

The good news is the demon never wins, not really.

We don't have Robin Williams' body, but we have his body of work.

He will always be up there on the screen making us laugh. That's why he's lucky. He's immortal, isn't he? In Patch and Armand, in Perry and of course, little Mork, the hairy alien.

Robin wasn't here in the world for himself; he was here for us.

God gave Robin to the world, and now he's taken him back.

Some people say his like will never come again.

I don't believe it.

He will resurface, our little Garp.

Just when you thought all was lost.




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...