Skip to main content

Denmark, please don't hate us cuz we're fat




I've never thought much about Denmark.
I had some Danish cutlery once and it was lovely.
And my Danish friend Viggo fed me Aquavit one night. I don't remember much of that night; I think there was also raw fish involved.
Raw fish is probably the reason so few women are obese in Denmark, that and the fact they ride a lot of bicycles.
And some of them -- not my friend Viggo whom I adore -- but some of them are rude.
 Like a Danish tourist with her English pal who came to Canada and wrote an "open letter" to the media about how fat we are here, how we live in disgusting smoggy cities, and how much we like our cars, none of which are made in Denmark.
Imagine if we rode in cars made in Denmark.
They'd be like Chevy Chevettes, those horrible little cars from the Seventies which had power nothing. You practically had to push the damned car down the road.

The local media picked up on their open ramblings and ran with them like a Russian gymnastic ribbon team.
They called us fat, CTV roared. They said we didn't spend enough time on bicycles.
Somehow, this is news to Canadian media.
I mean, it's not like the piece was written by an analyst from the Centre for Disease Control or the World Health Organization!
Must be a slow news week.
Imagine if I wrote that piece, using the same lingo. It wouldn't even make the cut on the editor's desk.
Nobody in the news media cares what we have to say about ourselves.
They only care if somebody says it...from away.

Okay, but is it accurate?
Sure.
I like my car. It gets me places.
I don't ride a bike, though my husband does. He's been hit by cars four times in Ottawa.
He's insane.
Frankly, if I'm going to be hit, I'd rather be in a car, preferably waiting for the cops with a bucket of KFC sitting beside me --  in air conditioning.
I'm not saying what they had to say wasn't true.
But so what if I'm fat and prefer ice cream and steak and wine and tequila over fish?
I also like corn and potatoes.
Not too fond of Danishes, though.
They give me gas.

In the meantime, here are some fun facts about Denmark.

FACTS.

Fact 1:
Denmark was the first European country to abolish slavery.

Fact 2:
The "Dannebrog" is the oldest national flag in the world.

Fact 3:
The average tax rate in Denmark is 49%.

Fact 4:
Danes eat more pasta than any other people.

Fact 5:
There is not a single mountain in Denmark. The closest thing is a 170 meters high hill called Møllehøj.

Fact 6:
Denmark has been a member of the EU since 1973 and of NATO since 1949.

Fact 7:
Denmark is the fifth largest exporter of food in the world.

Fact 8:
Only three Danish films have sold more than one million tickets.

Fact 9:
Denmark came up with Lego.

Fact 10:
Denmark has been inhabited since about 12,500 BC.

See now? That's how you write something nice about another country.

Wait, I couldn't resist.



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...