Skip to main content

Jim Flaherty wouldn't want us to pay for his funeral







This might make some people uncomfortable.
Canadians don't like other people knowing their business especially things like how much it costs to bury their beloved relatives.
Oh well, the cost of this particular funeral is in the public record.
In other words, you and I paid for it.
Most funerals that are paid for by the state are for people on welfare, or for the homeless to give every family some dignity in their time of grief.
But this funeral was not that kind of funeral.
It was a state funeral, the kind usually reserved for kings or queens, prime ministers or Governors General.
I'm am writing, of course, about the state funeral for Jim Flaherty, the one we paid $400,000 for.
Frankly I was shocked when I saw that number. And I think Jim Flaherty would have been shocked, too.
In fact, I have no trouble saying that if he'd heard about it when he was alive, he would have died of shame.
Jim Flaherty was a well known penny pincher. He loved saving money for the Canadian taxpayer.
He saw it as his legacy.
How to explain then, in death, why he needed to wear the Emperor's clothes, and let us host a lavish booze up for people he either didn't know or didn't like.
Hmm. I didn't get an invite, not even a drink ticket but my pennies paid for suites at the Royal York, double decker buses, flat screens and private receptions for the swells.
How could Flaherty justify this little number in Part III of the Spending Estimates?
The answer is, he didn't sign off on it.
The prime minister did.
Jim Flaherty was one day minding his own business, shining up his golf clubs, hoisting a few with buddies and the next thing he knew he was tying up traffic with a $400,000 police presence and detail.
He wouldn't have liked it. He would say the expense couldn't be justified.
He'd say "who do you think I am, Allison Redford?"
Jim Flaherty had some cash stashed away. He had life insurance.
He didn't need the state to pay for things.
Some would argue that Jim Flaherty deserved this kind of send off. After all, the government paid for a funeral for Jack Layton, too.
To which I say, Jack Layton could have paid for his own funeral, too.
As my granny would say: "who does he think he is -- the King of England?

Look, I just watched two of my dear friends, who didn't have a pot to piss in -- no insurance, nada -- bury their husbands. One had to borrow the money from her mom. The other had to use a pay equity settlement, one she waited for more than 20 years to bury her guy.
The state didn't give a rat's ass about their bills.
But it didn't mind reaching into their pockets to bury Jim Flaherty who would have been happy to rent the local legion on his own dime and buy a round for everybody.
We need to put an end to these state funerals and put the money to better use, like upping the amount Canada Pension Plan pays families to plant their loved ones.
Let's remember our beloved politicians the way ordinary Canadians remember their family members.
In the mind's eye.










 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...