Skip to main content

The Easter bunny and a modern day freelance miracle




Being a freelance writer is a bit like being trapped in an iron lung.
You may still be hot to trot on the inside, but you are constantly in a state of inertia.
That's because you're always broke.
In the freelance game, it's always feast or famine. Well, these days, mostly it's famine.
As my friend, the musician Mose Scarlet once said about his own business, "you can make a lot of money playing music; too bad you can't make it everyday".

It's easy to say "hey there are lots of free things to do".
Sure, you can walk around your neighborhood or take the dog for a run.
But everything else costs money. If you want to ratch it up a notch, you can take the dog to the dog park, but that requires gas. If you want to get the best exercise of your life, eventually, you'll need new shoes. And sunscreen.
Even sitting in the house costs money. Like that $700 Hydro bill, or the Internet or the phone. Even a hot shower is costing me a King's ransom these days.
So I spend a lot of time looking out the window at my crazy neighbors. The cops were in front of their house twice this week. An ambulance came yesterday.
To the side of us, there is a house that seems to be a Muslim school or cultural centre. We don't know what it is because we've never met the tenants. I don't think anybody lives there. And yet, there is a chorus of minivans and SUVs that congregate in front the house blocking our passage from our driveway. I complained to the City, so they sent a snowplow to make sure there was more room for minivans.
Sigh.

Back to freelancing.
Since New Year's, I've made exactly $150 which I've yet to receive even though I did the work in February. This month was better. I had a piece published in the Ottawa Citizen and I did a radio gig for the CBC, so that means I'm owed, including the $150, a whopping $600.
I used to make money off this blog but I got shut down because my friends clicked on my ads too many times. Occasionally, I get a donation from a supporter of this blog, but mostly I do this as volunteer work. Besides, it's cheaper than therapy.

Fortunately, I'm not the bread winner in the family. If that were so, we'd be eating bread from the Food Bank. Still, I like to contribute to the house's bottom line and so any part of that $600 was intended to pay for the traditional family Easter feast which is taking place today.
As of Thursday, the only things in my mail box were flyers advertising things I cannot buy. As of Thursday, there wasn't a red cent in the bank account.
I felt like a louse.
Or Clark Griswold standing in front of the family with a certificate for the Jelly of the Month Club.
I had failed to delivery on my promise of a luscious Easter feast of turkey and all the trimmings.
There would be no feast unless I asked the family to bring it. Or lend me money, which I'm loathe to do.
Other years, I would have been downing zoomers and swilling vodka.
This year, I found Jesus.
Under my bed late at night.
He started to sing that Bobby McFerrin song.
Don't worry be happy.
I took it to heart.
Instead of panicking Thursday, I got realizing that it didn't matter what I served, be it the leftover spaghetti sauce and frozen bread or the Feast of Stephen. The get-together was about being a family, catching up on stories from my busy bartender son and about plans for Marissa's wedding.
And of course, watching little Skylar menace Gordie, the ailing pug.
So I was feeling a bit better about myself on Good Friday, resigned to my penniless fate. I said my usual prayers to Jesus and thanked him for all of my blessings -- a family, good health, the love of hounds, an affordable gym membership -- and I fell into a wonderful sleep.
And then something marvelous happened.
I got up early and let out the hounds and there, in my mailbox, was a cheque from the CBC for $250, less my union dues.
Impossible, I thought. The mailman came on Thursday, and there was no postal delivery on Good Friday.
What it was, was a freelance miracle. The cheque was cut on Thursday and in my box on Saturday, a day with no postal service.
It was as if my prayers were answered, sent from my mouth via the Jesus conduit to the ears of president of the CBC.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into this.
Perhaps the mailman got his drink on Thursday and failed to deliver his mail so he was coming round on Friday to catch up.
Perhaps my cheque was delivered to the neighbors accidently.
Perhaps.
But maybe.
Maybe, it was an Easter miracle.
Devine delivery, as my pastor friend suggested.
Or maybe it was the Easter bunny who has resorted to doling out money instead of chocolate due to the current economic downturn.
Whatever it was, I'm taking it.
Happy Easter everyone.
Never give up hope.
Sometimes hope springs, and the Easter bunny -- or the mailman -- delivers.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...