Skip to main content

This blog will give you cancer





The New York Times, God bless the Old Grey Mare, had diet bloggers binge-eating this week over a new large -- large is important, apparently -- study that revealed that there is no link between the consumption of saturated fat and obesity.

What this means for those of you who do not devote your entire afternoon to watching medical chat shows is that you can eat red meat and butter and it won't give you a heart attack.

Well, Hail Mary and pass the collection plate. Heck, if it's in the New York Times, it must be true!

This is good news, just in time for barbeque season, so fire up the coals and get a big slab of T-bone on the grill along with corn slathered in butter.

Hold the suga, Ragtime. Sugar, is the culprit now, not fat.

Well, duh. Every cornpone low life knows that if you drink too much Coca Cola -- which according to the Great and Powerful Doctor Oz this week also contains cancer-causing carmel fake food coloring -- it's gonna make your butt into an ass pancake.

I don't pay attention to any of this nonsense. That's because for every study there is an equal and opposite study proving something otherwise. We see it all the time in the Kingdom of Oz where one day the heart doctor is extolling the virtues of, say, juicing and the next is bringing in experts that warn that if you drink too much carrot juice, you turn into one.

Even the superannuated government folks can't seem to get it right. There are arguments among the many experts over that wonderful food pyramid it took millions of your tax dollars to perfect. Even the Harvard food plate is coming into disrepute.

Everybody with a vested interest has an opinion. Wheat, laden as it is with genetically-modified something or other, will give you a big fat belly. You should only drink milk from cows that are born on Sunday and wear pink bows on Wednesday. Soy gives you twenty-five ovaries.

Here, have a glass of wonderful almond milk, which isn't even milk for Christ's Sake.

It's enough to give you brain freeze.

And have you heard the newest idea that you shouldn't do cardiovascular exercise, only strength training after the age of 50? Apparently, according to one faction, cardio doesn't help you lose weight at all. What the hell have I been doing at the gymnasty for the past three years when I could have just sat on the couch eating nuts and bolts, doing crunches to Dr. Phil?

Oh yes, and now the big scare. If you sit too much you're going to die.

Shit. That's all I do is sit on my ass all day. I'm going to die next Tuesday.

I'm sorry, but there is no solution for sitting. It's doubtful most workplaces will embrace the treadmill workstation. And what's the lowly cop or truck driver to do?

Not to mention the backlash from the donut-eating administrators who fear what an epidemic of spilled coffee stains will do to their dress codes.

I suspect the real culprit in all of this is not what we eat but how much we worry about what we eat. That is what is causing the cancer and heart attacks. Stress is what causes all the problems in the world from binge-eating to alcoholism, from obesity to mental illness.

No let me take that back, the cause of all the world's ills are the experts.

Maybe if the experts would shut their gobs, and let us get on with life, we would all be healthier and happier.

Hmmm. Maybe I should write a book about it. Get in the New York
Times
.

Making a mint off The New York Times is much better than reading the New York Times.

And if I'm rich, I won't care if I'm fat.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...