Skip to main content

Hope springs eternal even if spring does not




For the past week, I've had obsessive thoughts about maple syrup and honey.
Two weeks ago, I ran out of syrup and I've been waiting for the sap to start drooling out of the maple trees so I can buy a four gallon jug of the stuff. I refuse to buy the teeny tiny jars they're selling at Farm Boy -- the remnants of last year's crop.
I'm spoiled, I'll admit it.
I live in Ottawa. I'm not a damned tourist!
Ditto honey. I don't want any of that Billy Bee stuff they sell in toy bears. I want a jug of the stuff that some poor farmer had to suffer to harvest. Honey is no good unless the farmer can personally show me the sting marks.
This morning, I woke up to tired trees heaving from the heavy weight of spring snow. This damned winter is making it tremendously difficult for me, and the sap, to run in the sunshine.
The snow is pretty enough. Beats walking the Black Bastard Finnigan in the freezing rain.
But I hate it.
I actually had to wear my spikes to get to the car yesterday. That's never happened before.
And for the first time, perhaps ever, I've completely worn out a winter coat.
The weather has wreaked havoc on this sleepy burg. You can't drive down a street without losing your muffler. And I nearly took a header on Queen Street last week in a pothole in the sidewalk.
But there are signs that the drought of sweetness may soon be over.
Yesterday, the Creator -- I'm calling God that now that Russell Crow disguised as Noah is calling her that -- threw me a bone.
I was walking through the Elmvale Mall and I saw an angel.
The honey lady is back with her creams and her organic bee drippings. Apparently, she's been hiding at Carlingwood for two damned years, but now she's back in my 'hood selling the sweet nectar that I've been longing for.
Too bad I just bought a honking big jar of the stuff at Farm Boy.
I promised her my business, though, so I've got to get busy making honey bran muffins.
What else can I make? I know! Baklava!
In any event, the Creator gave me a sign and I'm taking it.
Hope springs eternal even if spring does not.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...