Skip to main content

Ottawa Hydro: Power to the people



There's no place like home. Right Ontario?
You can sample fine wines, jump into hot tubs, go parasailing on Lake Ontario, eat in cool restaurants, shop in neat stores.
Huh.
I can't do any of these things because I have to pay my Hydro bill which is now over $700 every billing cycle. Four years ago, when we moved into this house, it was around $300, which meant we had $400 to go towards our other bills: phone, Internet, heating.
Now we have to find that extra $400. We've done everything we could to reduce our spending. We cut right back on our discretionary spending, things like cable and Internet. We renegotiated our cell phone plans. We never go out anymore, either.
But right now, the cost of Hydro -- along with a 100 percent jump on our water and sewer bill -- has meant we're having to cut back on food.
Splurging used to mean a night on the town or a terrific holiday.
Today it means paying full price for meat at the grocery store.
The thing about it is, there is nothing we can do about our Ottawa Hydro bill. It's out of our hands.
Hydro tells us to cut back on our power use. We've done that. I don't have a dishwasher and I always do the wash after hours and on weekends. We turn out our lights.
I've been doing this for two months, and told the kids to do the same.
Did it help?
Shock of all shocks, I opened my email from Hydro to discover that our bill was $200 higher than it was when I didn't try to conserve. I am flummoxed.
I know it's not just us. My friend Doris is paying nearly $300 in Hydro for a one bedroom apartment. My neighbors are paying bills that are even higher than ours on tiny houses. I simply cannot imagine how people with low incomes find the money to pay Hydro.
An old friend, who worked for the city's welfare department, told me he spent 90 percent of his time convincing Hydro to put the power back on for poorer families.
Heartless bastards.
Pretty soon, we'll all have to subsist on beans and rice like people in other Third World countries.
This is not the Ontario I know. It is not a place where I want my grandchildren to grow.
And I certainly don't feel it's where I belong.
Let's hope Ontario's ombudsman can get to the bottom of the Hydro mess before we all have to freeze in the dark.

If you're wondering how Hydro bills got so high read this. 
If you want to do something, sign this.






Comments

  1. Wind and solar subsidies are generally a good idea. We want more of that, just better managed.

    But other cost 'increases' in the article you linked are simply shuffling of tax dollars. The money flow to the province who then subsidizes the power operators, if you didn't pay those amounts on your Hydro bill, the province would have to raise them through other taxes. It's a crazy, opaque system but it always comes back to collecting from the citizens of Ontario. No one else is hiding behind a tree somewhere.

    The prodigious amounts that has been wasted on nuclear plants and cancelled gas plants was all borrowed, and still needs to be paid off. It doesn't matter whether we cut our power consumption entirely, collectively we must settle those accounts.

    But we shouldn't be loading the burden onto the shoulders of those least able to afford it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...