Skip to main content

Go get the flu shot and wash your damned hands!

I have just returned from the Rexall Drugstore where I waited ten minutes to get the flu shot.
I didn't feel it, not even a prick.
Gosh, I thought, the pharmacist is a lot better than the nurses at my doctor's office, which is next door and had a line up of about fifty people who presumably were there because they have the flu.
I didn't see one person who was sick at the pharmacy.
The line up at the Pharmaplus was exactly no one except a worried gentleman who never had the flu shot before, a man who grilled me about how many times I've had it, whether I had side effects.
I thought, man up, dude, it's just a flu shot.
I get the flu shot ever year and this is why.
I got a job at the Bruyere Hospital after SARS hit Ontario. I worked for one week, then felt sick and my boss told me not to tell anybody. I ended up so sick I had to quit my job. My health crisis lasted six months, during which time I nearly coughed up both my lungs.
I believe I'm lucky to be alive.
I also get the flu shot because one of my dear friends, Gord Grant, died from the H1N1 which was a true tragedy given the fact that Gord was a robust lad in good health. I think of the old coot ever time there is a flu scare, and tell everyone I know --especially when I'm waiting to get the shot -- that Gord died from it.
I also get the flu shot because I have a granddaughter and I want to see her grow up.
And I get the flu shot because I go to the gym four times a week, the place the flu and other maladies vacation. And because I go to the grocery store where the flu virus likes to accompany shoppers through the aisles looking for meat specials.
In my humble opinion, it's just stupid NOT to get the flu shot.
It doesn't cost anything.
If you and your kin get the flu shot, there are fewer places for the flu to land.
You might also save a life, like your elderly neighbor or the baby your sister just brought home from the hospital.
I don't understand why only ten percent of the population gets the flu shot when it's simple, it doesn't hurt and it's free. And I certainly don't understand why only half of health workers get it.
Maybe more people would get the flu shot if they got Air Miles.

Come on. Get to the pharmacy.
Get your flu shot.
P.S. Wash your damned hands, especially if you go to my gym.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...