Skip to main content

Hannah, Ming and Gordie: We're putting the band back together





For the past two weeks, I've been coming up with all sorts of schemes to make Gordie the pug's life better. He can't stand to pee anymore. He poops while sitting. He can't eat without me propping him up between my legs.

Yesterday, I decided to build him a little skid to keep him up on his feet, one that rolls around so he can get places, like to the food bowl or to his water. He still loves to eat and he has a wonderfully silky coat, so he still has life in him, right?

I knew I was kidding myself. I've been in this space before with Hannah the retriever who was so riddled with cancer that the only respite she found was lying in a snow bank or on the tile floor. And also with Ming whose eyes became wild as she fought to breathe.

When I look at pictures now, I see a different story. Look at this photo. Lovely Hannah, still smiling on the outside while wasting away on the inside. She was dead six weeks after that Christmas.




These are lies we tell ourselves just to keep our beloved pets close. We lie to ourselves because we can.

Gordie's situation is a bit different.

With Gordie, there is still wiggle room. I can let him go on for a few more weeks until he stops peeing altogether and stops eating, or I can do the right thing and let him go.

It's his time.

He's had a wonderful life. He survived bladder stones, pancreatitis, two serious dental surgeries, obesity and nearly lifelong incontinence. When he was healthy, he never shut up. He tried to kill the Baby Skylar when she came home. He's put up with Finnigan and Sophie jumping on his head even when he couldn't fight back.

He's lived for two years with only a few teeth left in his head. He's toddled around the house seeing only shadows.

In spite of his declining health, he's done everything we've asked of him. He stayed with us for one more summer, revived himself on thyroid pills, occasionally barked at shadows, snorfled in the backyard, swatting at phantom windmills. He kept me warm every night and cuddled and licked me, and made me feel like the most important person in the world.

Soon, there will only be the dream of Gordie, as he slips into the other world, into a space we can only imagine. Will he join the other dogs? Will he disappear into darkness?

Regardless, there will be no pain.

That is the ultimate gift I can give him this Christmas. A life with without fear, an eternal home without discomfort and worse. After all, that's what we all want in the end.

These are difficult days. I will not do a countdown. You will know when he's gone when I post a single photo.

But shed no tears for me or for Gordie. We've had a blast together. Try to remember him, and Ming and Hannah together in eternity. We're putting the band back to together.



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...