Skip to main content

Pure Brew: Not your uncle's homemade hooch

When I was a little kid, my mom and uncles decided to make home made beer in the basement of our farmhouse. They bought a kit and a bunch of bottles and spent an afternoon getting "lit" constructing a DIY still.

It was all good fun for the rellies, fun that is until a few weeks later. We were sitting around the kitchen table and heard funny sounds coming from below. Pffft. Pffft. The bottles were exploding. For weeks, our farmhouse smelled like sour mash, an odor I can still remember today. It was almost as bad as the time Gramps decided to make sourkraut under the floor boards.

As for the product, let's say it tasted like what I imagine beer would taste like when combined with horse pee.

Needless to say, it took years for me to warm to the idea of home brew.

I always found home made wine to taste, well, homemade. It was too fruity or nasty, particularly the red wine. Sometimes we drank it as kids to get wasted. We might as well have taken up sniffing glue.

A few years back, my friend Brenda and I went into the wine making business by necessity. I loved my wine, but found, as a single mom, that I couldn't afford to drink the store bought stuff. So it made sense to spend a hundred bucks or so for three cases of white wine rather than fork over twelve bucks a bottle to the bandits at the LCBO.

Unfortunately for me, I can no longer drink white wine. It sours my stomach. While not yet a teetotaller, I am a much more moderate drinker. I like to have a few glasses of red on an evening, and I always thought the wine kit red option was out for me. Too grapey for my taste.

Last year, Scott convinced me to revisit the notion of making my own red wine. He met a Bulgarian winemaker who owns Pure Brew in Orleans and he has a wide selection of reds, from the light, fruitier varieties to the robust reds like Amarone and Barolo. Ayhan Feim is a biologist and professional winemaker by training who came to Canada a few years ago with his family. Since then, he has graduated from the sommelier program at Algonquin College.



He has wonderful stories and an encyclopedic knowledge of his craft.

Since meeting Ayhan, I've become a convert to winemaking. There are several reasons. First, the wine is much lower in alcohol than store bought wine. Even most French reds are being made at a 14% level, except for the very worst plonk like Pisse Dru. I find wine over 12% to be too rich for my blood. Most of the wine at Ayhan's comes in at 12%.

The other thing I noticed is that Pure Brew wine selections aren't full of sulphites, the MSG of wine ingredients, the stuff that gives you headaches and bad hangovers. As a result, when I drink it, I no longer wake up with a throbbing head or sore stomach even if I'm sipping wine all evening.

Thirdly, and my friend Janie will need to know this, the wines I make at Pure Brew don't make your teeth look like you've just chewed those pink pills your kids get at the dentist, the kind that show you where you're not brushing.



And let's face it, the price is right! Most of the wines cost about $3 a bottle. You have to add the yeast and bottle it, but the wine store handles the storage and the filtering and all the washing up.

Today, we brought home three cases of Amarone for $145. We're putting it aside for Christmas (yeah, right!). We also made a batch of pineapple coolers.

What fun.

I love making my own wine. Don't know why I didn't do it sooner. It's not really homemade, anymore. It's simply handmade.

Thanks, Ayhan!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...