Skip to main content

A&W in Ottawa: Hope and Root Beer Floats



I was driving down Hawthorne Road in search of a farm stall selling corn, when I spied this incredible sight -- an all-night A&W stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Man, that brings me back.

Growing up in St. Catharines, there wasn't a lot to do if you didn't play hockey or row for your high school. But you could take your fake I.D. and get into a heavy metal bar to watch a band like Thor and the Imps, pictured below with me in their clutches. Hey! I was interviewing them!



Anyways, after the bar, a bunch of us would cruise down to A&W for chili dogs, Papa Teen Burgers and some very frosty root beer. We'd crank up the tunes, slide our car windows down and scarf down the best fast food in town. I don't remember girls on roller skates, but I'm told our A&W had them.

There were lots of other fast food joints, of course. There was Tim Horton's -- the original Timmies, which was close to the spot on the Queen Elizabeth where Tim Horton met his horrific ending.

And there were other joints like McDonald's, Dairy Queen and The Red Barn.

But A&W was the best. It had atmosphere.

Quick joke. Ronald McDonald took the Dairy Queen behind the Red Barn and gave her a Quarter Pounder. Hah! God, you have to love high school humor.

Anyways, back to A&W. I was truly heartbroken when A&W closed its doors and was only to be found in mall food courts.

Imagine my surprise to see this spot opened up in my neighborhood.

Much has changed. You have to drive thru, you can't actually sit at the window eating your food. And the patties are no longer made of mystery meat. A&W has gone all ethical on us, providing us with meat patties from more posh cattle, the ones who get manicures and blow dries. The ones who gave Temple Grandin a tip on their way up the ramp.

I'm happy to spend a little more on my burger knowing that the poor cows haven't been crammed into tiny quarters like serial killers. I imagine them running through fields with flowers in their hair, being serenaded by Joni Mitchell until they have to walk the plank.

A&W is also selling sweet potato fries, a lot of chicken sandwiches and onion rings! So you don't have to eat a mama, a papa or an icky teenager.

What is the same is the fabulous root beer still sold in frosty mugs. Oh, man, it is so nice to chug a lug a root beer in something that isn't going into the water table.

.


So give it a go.

A&W is still going strong.

Even without the chicks on roller skates.



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...