Skip to main content

Adopt a black dog Ottawa! You know you want to






I was shocked to hear yesterday that there is something called The Black Dog Syndrome at rescue shelters. According to the Ottawa Humane Society, people are biased against black dogs.
 
So this October, the OHS is offering all kinds of special deals to people in hopes of adopting out all the black dogs in the shelter.
 
I can't understand this. At least half the dogs at the Conroy Pit dog park are black. There are black pugs, Labs, Newfies and poodles chasing each other's tails, sniffing butts and lifting their legs all around the place. Most of them look alike -- like my own dog Finnigan -- which makes me wonder if there is a local lothario about knocking up all the Berneses and Danes. There are so many of them that we have taken to calling them The Black Gentleman Society.

Often, I have to check to make sure I'm taking the right dog home.

A black dog is a thing of beauty, danger and mischief. We buy ShopVacs to pick up their hair. We put shower curtains on the good furniture.

Black dogs are special.
 
But there obviously are snobs out in our community. They rail against the black dog for the following reasons:

They have fur that makes the beige carpet look so dirty, it looks like the casting room of The Walking Dead.

When you try to photograph them, all you get are the eyes.

Their blackness makes it easy to camouflage dirt and poo, particularly in the rainy season.

They are hard to see in the dark, resulting in an epidemic of human brain injury and toe amputations.

As a veteran owner of big Black Labs, I can attest that these are, in fact, not myths, but truths. Add in the general stupidity, craziness and unruliness of the Labrador Retriever and you, the dog owner, will indeed have one fine mess on your hands. It is a well known fact that Labs don't mature until the owner is, in fact, dead.

That said, there are several upsides to owning big black dogs:

You can promise the granddaughter a pony and deliver!
 

You can scare the crap out of any intruder, door-to-door salesperson and bill collector.

If you are a multiple dog owner, you can keep your yard clean as a whistle by allowing your Lab to hoover down the poop of others and cat litter is no longer an issue!

Labs are helpful and ready to please. They do yard work and trim the trees in the fall.



They are great at a party!


And you can always count on a Black Lab in a pinch to be your GPS! They can find the dog park with their mouth wide open.



So go out and get one today.
Take advantage of all the specials at the OHS.
You won't be sorry.
In five or six years.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...