Skip to main content

The lesson from the KitchenAid grave? Buy cheap

As I watched the junk guy take my KitchenAid fridge away yesterday, I went to my happy place to see if I learned anything from my experience with appliance ownership.

As you may know, my seven-year-old fridge bit the dust on the weekend. It was taken to wherever dead fridges go, somewhere perhaps like the desolate world of Walle where the 30-year-old Amana beer fridge lies in a heap next to the KitchenAid, an old man sitting next to a kid who took crack one too many times.

It's so depressing to think about the appliance cemetery because fridges like ours can't even be refurbished. They'll just lay there until the planet explodes from cow farts and freons.

My intuition tells me that the geniuses who get rich selling appliances have finally figured out that they can't make money selling fridges to people who keep them for 30 years so they install innards that are designed to become obsolete in a few years, just like Pontiac Sunfires.

After I wrote that post, I received many comments from people who have been betrayed by their major appliances and the companies that make them. One friend told me about a nightmare she encountered after she purchased one of the fou-fou fancy built-in appliance sets from that country that cannot be trusted, France. The pieces were okay, but the customer service was crap.

In my case, the KitchenAid was a high end fridge, not the sort one would expect die young, but it did. This is a worry to me because all my other appliances are KitchenAid -- the stove, the mixer, the blender, even the food processor. These appliances were supposed to be high quality. Chef Lynn Crawford says so right there on their website.

Hey Lynn, maybe it's time for a new gig. I, for one, will never trust you with food again.

Any way, it's water under the compressor. It's time to move on.

But who do I trust?

What I did learn was that KitchenAid isn't KitchenAid. It's Whirlpool. So I decided against getting a fridge made by Whirlpool which doesn't answer its damned phone or respond to posts from irate bloggers. So I decided to buy from a competitor.

Unfortunately, my intrepid cousin Dawn Simpson Facebooked me the following from Wiki:

KitchenAid is an American home appliance brand owned by Whirlpool Corporation. The company markets Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Jenn-Air, Amana, Gladiator GarageWorks, Inglis, Estate, Brastemp, Bauknecht and Consul. After acquiring the Maytag Corporation on March 31, 2006, the Whirlpool Corporation surpassed Electrolux to become "the largest home appliance maker in the world.

Oh shit.

I was hoping to try out a Maytag because, well, remember the commercials? The Maytag repairman, the loneliest man in town?

Do you think it's a coincidence that that commercial doesn't air anymore?

You hear from Kelly Ripa all about extra bottom shelves and fridges that even have a cake drawer.

But dependability? It's no longer job one.

There is only one option.

Buy cheap.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...