Skip to main content

The Giant Head of Conroy Pit



Conroy Pit, an off-lease dog park in the south end of Ottawa, is one of my favorite places on Earth. It is a mecca for dog lovers who come out to see the myriad breeds of dogs run, hustle and spin. It's also a great place to socialize new canines and keep the old ones tuned up.

Unfortunately, things are changing in our beloved park and not for the better.

The City of Ottawa has recently re-gigged its budget for the park and fired its private contractors, the ones who used to come and empty the dog poo bins which were placed at the entrance to the park and at a midway point. The one in the middle has disappeared completely and the entrance bin has been replaced by what I like to call The Giant Head, a spaceship-sized dome which could easily consume a ton of doggie doo.




I suppose the change was made so that The Giant Head only had to be emptied once a millennium by some company owned by Rod Bryden. I cannot see how it could be emptied at all given the size of it. Perhaps the city has hired a poo crew to get inside and clean The Giant Head. Perhaps some chemical or other is added and the poo is incinerated.

For whatever reason, The Giant Head must have cost a frickin' fortune, much more than the salary of the poor contractor with a pickup truck.

In any case, the move has caused much inconvenience for dog walkers who had been grateful because having the second bin meant that they didn't have to walk five kilometres with smelly bags of dog feces.

The lack of a second bin has also resulted in a silent epidemic caused by dog walkers who are now hanging colorful bags of poo in the trees as if they were piñatas.

I am not alone in my objection to the new park maintenance plan.

The good dog walkers of Conroy Pit have, of late, started complaining to Diane Deans, the councillor for the area and our good Mayor Watson. Every park in the city has at least eight garbage bins which -- I am sorry but it is true -- are filled to the brim with dog poo. Why must we taxpaying off leash dog walkers be treated like second class citizens?

Anyway, Ottawa City Council must have heard them crying foul because just last week, a city crew was dispatched to clean up the park.

There were three of them. One girl with one of those sticks and two guys who were just walking along enjoying the sunshine and collecting their fifteen bucks an hour for doing absolutely nothing. I watched this genius trio for a while, noticed that one of the dudes had a pretty good buzz on. He walked straight forward, eyes shaded like some kind of rock star. I'm sure if he walked in piles of steamy feces, he wouldn't have noticed.

In fact, not one single one of them noticed the balloons of feces hanging in the trees!

Hah.

By my figuring, that sojourn in the park probably cost taxpayers a hundred bucks for the non-work, plus gas. The guy with the pickup truck who the city fired probably would have come and emptied two bins for fifty bucks.

This is so typical of city crews.

Do you ever notice that it takes three of them to plant one tree? One to drive the truck. One to dig the hole. One to put the tree in. Plus one supervisor to make sure the tree was planted correctly.

Please Diane Deans give us back our bin. Hire back the poor guy with the truck who used to clean the park. Put the city crew back to work greening the capital one tree at a time.

Do this, and we'll vote for you in the next election.

Promise.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...